Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I manage a remote symbolic-ref?

Rich Mayfield July 17, 2013

I'd like to define and manage a remote symbolic-ref. Is there any way to manage symbolic-refs in the remote repository?

For example, I have an internal process/script that I'd like to configure with a single git reference that points to a branch. Behind the scenes I want to be able to change the reference in Bitbucket to point to another branch and thus allowing me to never change the internal process/script.

4 answers

1 vote
david_feldsine_veeva February 24, 2015

In my Git environment Symbolic References would make my life much easier, eliminating many manual steps when doing a release.

1 vote
Rich Mayfield July 29, 2013

Just to clarify - what I want is a way to manage symbolic references.

We have several release branches that "roll" (for lack of a better term). For example, lets say that I have 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 in the works. We would like our build system to be configured once to get "red", "green" and "blue" where these are references to 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2, respectively. At some point we start 2.3, we release, and we want "red", "green", and "blue" to now reference 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3, respectively. We don't want to reconfigure the build system; instead, we just want to change the symbolic references.

Does that make sense? Is there a better way to go about doing this?

0 votes
david_feldsine_veeva February 24, 2015

In my Git environment Symbolic References would make my life much easier, eliminating many manual steps when doing a release.

0 votes
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2013

I don't believe this is supported for security reasons.

Take a look here for more details: https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/4012/symlinks-are-not-followed-when-encountered

Rich Mayfield July 23, 2013

I'm looking to manage symbolic references, not symbolic links.

Rich Mayfield January 15, 2014

I cannot downgrade this answer as I don't have enough karma points.

Any other ideas? As I mentioned I am referring to symbolic references (a la "git symbolic-ref") which is essentially a way of creating an alias.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events