cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I commit to the same branch after my PR is merged to develop

Shivansh Kaldaik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 3, 2024

Hy, I have a doubt. Let us say I create a PR in bitbucket with a branch named branch_123.

I got the approvals and I merged this PR to develop. 

Now if I do another commit to the same branch after my PR is merged, will it affect my previous PR and can I create a new PR with the new changes in the same branch. 

Thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 3, 2024

I understand that you want to push another commit to a branch that has already been merged to a target branch.

While it is certainly not best practice, I believe this is possible. From a technical perspective in Git, a branch is essentially a lightweight movable pointer to a specific commit in the version history. Branches in Git make use of pointers that automatically advance to the latest commit when new changes are made.

Here is some sophisticated ASCII art of how that looks like

H (feature, after merge to release)
/ .
A---B---C . (feature)
/ \ .
-----D---E---F---G--(I) (release)

Commit 'H' is just another commit to which branch 'feature' points to. You could create another PR from the updated 'feature' branch (H) to 'release' which, when merged, would create commit (I). The release branch would 'point' to commit (I)  

1 vote
Jessy Giacomoni March 3, 2024

Hi, 

No, if your branch has been merged, this will have no influence on your old request.

Best regard

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events