Can I add sub-project in a project in BitBucket ?

Anishka March 5, 2020

Can we have such a structure ? A parent project (like a group name) and then we can have sub-projects under that project, and then we can have repositories under each sub-project?

1 answer

0 votes
Maciej Adamczak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2020

Hi @Anishka With Bitbucket 5.13 we introduced Labels feature that you might use to categorize the repositories. Please take a look at official release notes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-server-5-13-release-notes-953131455.html#BitbucketServer5.13releasenotes-Addinglabelstoarepository,availablenowinBitbucketServer5.13

Thanks, 
Maciej

Louis Dupont August 19, 2020

My organisation is looking into moving from gitlab to bitbucket and this is a major issue. Some repositories within a project have the same name and are distinguished by their ownership to a subgroup. As a result, we must look into each repository and rename many to reflect their previous ownership. Labels don’t help.
Down the road, I’d also prefer to have repositories organized as:
FrontEnd/SDK
BackEnd/SDK
As oppose to flat list with names like "FrontEnd_SDK" even if labels can help with the search.

Lane Maxwell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 29, 2024

Unfortunately, it's impossible to organize my projects in bitbucket using its capabilities.

I really thought your workspaces would do what I needed, so I structured my projects as a workspace per client, broken down by projects and repositories.  BUT...then I found out that the subscription plans are attached to the workspace, there's no concept of an organization so if I have three clients and I want build minutes for each of them, I'm buying three different bitbucket plans.

Because of this, and because I like to have structure in everything I do, I'm in the process of moving my projects into Gitlab from Bitbucket.

Nrawut Phommahit February 3, 2024

Nrawut Phommahit February 3, 2024

@Luis thank to your solution rename repository like a old Gitlab structure but take more effort to migration.

Ex. Gitlab Structure
Group: CompanyA <--- Billing plan here
    Sub-Group: ServiceA/SystemA/AppA
         Repository: infrastructure
    Sub-Group: ServiceB/SystemB/AppB
         Repository: infrastructure

When migrate to BitBucket it break the structure to almost flat level.

Workspace: CompanyA <--- Billing plan here
   Project: ServiceA
       Repository: SystemA_AppA_infrastructure
   Project: ServiceB
       Repository: SystemB_AppB_infrastructure

Every wall is a door.

Like Sabine Mayer likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events