CI/CD with Mobile UI Automation Testing

tarek_o July 23, 2021

Hi,

I am starting a new Android Project with Appium UI Automation Testing check after every push. My Appium project uses an APK file to run and is saved on a different repository than the Android Project (Stand-alone).

Question 1: Does anyone have any experiences with saving the newly built APK file after the new changes into another Repo?

Question 2: After saving the new APK file into the Appium Project, how can I run this project through the pipeline to ensure that the new changes haven't affected any previous functionalities/UI tests. This question includes how can I setup an Emulator in the pipeline so that my tests run on.

Thank you for any contribution.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2021

Hi @tarek_o

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

About your question #1, I believe what you can do is to save or upload the built APK file in your repository Downloads section via API and retrieve it via API as well.
You can check out this documentation for more information.

About your question #2, you can check out this blog post with detailed examples on how to set up Android deployment with Bitbucket Pipelines using Gradle.

Hope it helps and let me know how if you have further questions.

Regards,
Mark C

tarek_o August 23, 2021

Hi @Mark C ,

Thank you for your response. The blog post regarding Bitbucket's CI/CD is really helpful.

I have used similar blog to implement my CI/CD where I save the APK as an Artifact and used it in following steps in my Automation.

Best Regards,

Tarek O

Viraj Kanwade October 3, 2021

Hi Mark C

- updating text to allow submit

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I have followed the blog post you have referred. But it does not show how to run the AndroidTest.

I tried to run the emulator and I get this error:

+ emulator -avd test -no-window -no-audio
handleCpuAcceleration: feature check for hvf
emulator: ERROR: x86_64 emulation currently requires hardware acceleration!
CPU acceleration status: KVM requires a CPU that supports vmx or svm
More info on configuring VM acceleration on Linux:
General information on acceleration .
I have tried to run the emulator with steps listed on the dockerhub page for android-30 image.

Is there any detail on how to run the UI automation tests?

Posting a message here is so frustrating. First it won't allow me to tag Mark. Then it says I have posted the same thing elsewhere so I cannot post it.

tarek_o October 5, 2021

Hi @Viraj Kanwade ,
I faced the same issue with the hardware acceleration when I ran some images. Changing the image to a better one worked for me. This issue occurs when the image does not support running emulators. The only image I found helpful with running emulators in docker is : budtmo/docker-android.

ref: https://github.com/budtmo/docker-android

Best Regards,

0 votes
papeomar_samb February 13, 2023

Hi @tarek_o did you manage to set up the execution of an android test with a CI/CD and did you set up an emulator too ? if yes could you provide me the steps to do please ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events