Build for different env using deployment variables

rhegde January 17, 2020

My build step includes different ENV variables for different environments. I can setup different variables using "deployment variables" but I am not able use them during build step. If I use repo variables I can not build for different env. Is there a way to specify different set of variables for builds? Thanks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Max Binnewies
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2020

Hello rhegde,

you can access deployment variables in the same way you access other variables, with a dollar sign in front. However, deployment variables are only available if that step also has a deployment configured. Here is a sample pipeline that uses a deployment variable:

pipelines:
branches:
master:
- step:
deployment: test
script:
- echo $MY_VARIABLE

And then configure the deployment variable like this in the deployments settings:

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.42.03 pm.png

For the purpose of this test make sure it is unsecured. Secured variables can not be echoed in the build logs, you should use that feature for access credentials and other secret information.

rhegde February 3, 2020

Ok got it, I just have to add "deployment: name" to that step where I want to use the variables.

On the same not, is it possible to use the deployment variables outside the yaml file just like the repo variable? e.g. in .env files.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events