It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Build for different env using deployment variables

rhegde I'm New Here Jan 17, 2020

My build step includes different ENV variables for different environments. I can setup different variables using "deployment variables" but I am not able use them during build step. If I use repo variables I can not build for different env. Is there a way to specify different set of variables for builds? Thanks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello rhegde,

you can access deployment variables in the same way you access other variables, with a dollar sign in front. However, deployment variables are only available if that step also has a deployment configured. Here is a sample pipeline that uses a deployment variable:

pipelines:
branches:
master:
- step:
deployment: test
script:
- echo $MY_VARIABLE

And then configure the deployment variable like this in the deployments settings:

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.42.03 pm.png

For the purpose of this test make sure it is unsecured. Secured variables can not be echoed in the build logs, you should use that feature for access credentials and other secret information.

rhegde I'm New Here Feb 03, 2020

Ok got it, I just have to add "deployment: name" to that step where I want to use the variables.

On the same not, is it possible to use the deployment variables outside the yaml file just like the repo variable? e.g. in .env files.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Bitbucket

Contest: Share your custom Bitbucket Pipe and win

Announced in this blog, this holiday season we’re celebrating all things CI/CD and between now and the end of 2019 we’ll be showcasing content, use cases, feature announcements and more. One featur...

1,148 views 5 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you