Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bugfix requires multiple commits, how to track in Jira

Jeff-F August 6, 2015

In our branching strategy, depending on when a bug is fixed, it might require one, two or three merges. We don't want to close a bug until the fix is verified in all of the required branches.

One solution is to clone the Jira, one for each commit. Is that what most folks do, or am I missing a cleaner way to track this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2015

I think there are several different possibilities here. When you say "verified" do you mean tested? Or just merged to that branch...

Where is the list of branches that each fix must go through defined...? Is that a decision on an issue by issue basis? Or can that be inferred from the branch naming convention that we had talked about before?

A better solution than cloning in my opinion would be to use a subtask per branch. You could add a trigger to the subtask workflow, so that it automatically gets moved into the right state when merged, eg "Ready for test". Then QA know what's on their todo list. Of course, just merging isn't the same as having a build ready for testing.

Do all changes eventually end up in master? If so maybe it's enough to add a condition/validator to your workflow that checks the fix is in master.

Jeff-F August 6, 2015

Yes, "Verified" means tested. I don't think we can infer from the branch name given our current branching strategy, its temporal, but I will check. I really like your subtask idea! Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events