Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Branch Restrictions allowing Bamboo Repository Commits

Edited

We are currently running Bitbucket Server along with Bamboo. I am looking to have Bamboo upon a successful deployment, perform a commit to the release branch in the repository. We use Bitbucket's Branch permissions to prevent rewriting history and deletion, and changes only through Pull Request. You can add a user as an exception, but I don't see the user Bamboo uses (Atlassian Bamboo) as an option to select as an exception user.

Bamboo uses Crowd for authentication which connects to AD to get our users that can authenticate.

The setup in the Bamboo Plan is using the Repository commit task to perform the commit and push the changes to Bitbucket. Bamboo and Bitbucket are linked, via the standard Atlassian method and the repository is a Linked Repository in Bamboo.

What are your best ideas on how to either get the Bamboo user to be added as an exception? Or a better way to go about performing the commit? Or any other solution that I'm not seeing.

1 answer

This needed support and feature is actually already supported and built into Bitbucket and Bamboo. Bamboo upon linking to a Bitbucket repository, automatically creates and adds an access key into the repository in Bitbucket. In viewing the Linked Repository I saw the key and knew it was then existing in the matching Bitbucket repo.

Upon doing some web searching, I found this article, which shows a key being added directly to the branch permissions.

I had numerous times typed bamboo into the field, but the key had never shown up. When Bamboo creates keys, it gives them the name of Bamboo's URL. The filtering did not work to match anything in the URL other than the start of the name, with is http.

Knowing this, I was able to add the access key Bamboo created to the repository, and can grant only Bamboo access to make changes to a release branch without a Pull Request.

Awesome - thanks for sharing your solution.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,255 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you