Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Branch Permissions - Prevent creating new release branch without write access

Curtis February 28, 2022

In Bitbucket Server, restricting access to just change merged via pull request, still allowed users to create a new release branch (or whatever branch type was restricted) but in Bitbucket Cloud, that same restriction, prevents anyone from creating the branch, and they have to get write access to the branch, in order to create the branch. So if adding everyone, if that is what is wanted to create release branches, then there is almost no point to the restriction.

Is this a bug, or by design? And why the difference in function between Server and Cloud? Is there a good reason why Cloud restricts the creation of the branch?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2022

Hi Curtis,

I think that this was by design initially, Bitbucket Server and Bitbucket Cloud are different products and certain features work differently in each product.

We have a request to change this behavior in our issue tracker:

I would suggest adding your vote to that ticket (by selecting Vote for this issue link). You are more than welcome to leave any feedback, and you can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

Another way to work around this at the moment would be by creating a branch permission with Write access:None for each release branch after creation, instead of using the release/* pattern.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Curtis March 2, 2022

While not the answer I was hoping for, and for our group, that workaround would not be feasible, it is the answer.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events