Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking IP Address?

jstrong611 August 22, 2019

I am on a river cruise with wifi through Central Europe and was successfully communicating with our code repository on bitbucket (via Eclipse Mercurial)

Several days ago, my ability to Sync with the repository stopped working. I get this message back from Eclipse every time I try:

error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

That sure suggests I am somehow getting blocked all of a sudden. I have done all the obvious things like restart Eclipse, reboot, etc., etc. and nothing helps.

Is it possible my IP has been blocked because of where we have been traveling (i.e. some countries not allowed)? Baffled why it worked then stopped all of a sudden.

4 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jstrong611 August 25, 2019

Confirmed!

We have left the river boat, are at local hotel, and the connection to bitbucket is restored!

Sorry for the long "goose chase"... pretty bizarre my boat connection worked for about 1/2 the trip then died. But it surely was because they ended up blocking the connection to bitbucket.

All is well now! :-)

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2019

No worries, I'm always happy to help :) Glad to hear it works now!

Have a safe rest of your journey!

Cheers,
Daniil

Marcin Ciepiel November 14, 2020

@Daniil Penkin 

Hey, I have same issue, the thing is:

It happened all of the sudden after 2 of my pushes today.

I tried to push 3rd update (it wasn't spamming, I would say every 2 hours?) and all of the sudden... It says timed out. Also, I cannot reach the website of our url bitbucket server.

I've tried using data from phone, of course I cannot connect only using my wifi. It stopped working just like that.

It looks like I'm blocked. I'm in UK. Is there any way to check if my IP has been blocked? Or what happened at all? It seems my organization can't see any whitelist IPs document etc.

I have tried updating, resetting, configuring, checking proxies, checking firewalls (I would say almost everything). It's 100% wifi but still... It worked perfectly and just stopped after second push ;?

Hope we can find a solution,

Martin

rodhern14 February 15, 2021

Hi, same issue here. 
I was working but suddenly i cant access. I try to reach bitbucket.org on my mobile phone via cellular service, and it does reach bitbucket.org successfully.

How can i solve this issue :(

0 votes
Answer accepted
jstrong611 August 23, 2019

Thank you for the fast reply.

No, I am unable to reach any of bitbucket by direct web. I cannot even get the main page to pop for me (bitbucket.org) nor our repository web address at bitbucket.

I get the following error message instantly when I try:

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

This might suggest I am completely disconnected, but that is not the case. I can reach other websites easily, and in fact am writing this reply via a live connection.

I saw in another post on a similar topic that your requested a trace. So here is what I am getting back when I trace to bitbucket.org:

Tracing route to bitbucket.org [18.205.93.0]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms 2 ms 172.20.0.1
2 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms 10.14.253.73
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 114 ms 120 ms 107 ms ip177.ip-51-89-34.eu [51.89.34.177]
6 184 ms 160 ms 137 ms 51.89.6.252
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 131 ms 126 ms 107 ms fra-fr5-sbb1-nc5.de.eu [91.121.215.116]
12 122 ms 115 ms 205 ms be101.sbg-g1-nc5.fr.eu [94.23.122.136]
13 124 ms 125 ms 119 ms be100-1254.th2-1-a9.fr.eu [94.23.122.139]
14 193 ms 197 ms 206 ms be100-1346.ash-5-a9.va.us [37.187.36.199]
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 242 ms 233 ms 269 ms 54.239.109.116
17 210 ms 237 ms 205 ms 52.93.114.175
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 276 ms 224 ms 232 ms 52.93.28.124
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Not sure if that helps.

Sure seems like the connection is unable to complete for some reason (whereas connections to other sites work fine). And I know this connection worked fine from this river boat (via their wifi) just fine a few days ago. Odd.

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2019
  • Can you try a different device, like mobile phone for example? Something simple like navigating to bitbucket.org ?
  • Do you have any software like antivirus which can intercept connections? Can you turn it off and try again?
  • Can you try running these commands and check their output?
    telnet 18.234.32.155 22
    telnet 18.205.93.4 22 

This will hopefully shed some light on what's happening.

Cheers,
Daniil

jstrong611 August 23, 2019

Good suggestions. Here's the results:

1. My mobile phone, when connected via cellular service, does reach bitbucket.org successfully. But of course I'd expect that...

Let's try when the mobile is connected to the boat's wifi...

2. OK, when I connect to the boat's wifi via my phone, I get an immediate reject:

"Safari cannot open the page because the network connection was lost."

Again, it is an instant reject; no spinning wait indicator... but a fast rejection.
    This again points to the rejection happening via the ship's wifi (and no internal to my PC). 

But let' be sure...

3. I do have Kaspersky on the PC. I just suspended it for this test and tried again...

Interestingly, Windows Defender immediately turned itself on to protect me; let's suspend that too for a moment...

Nope. I just tried to connect again, and I get the exact same reject messages (both via Eclipse and via a standard browser to bitbucket.org.

4. Let's be sure it's not the browser somehow... trying MS Edge now:

Nope... also a failure but a slightly different rejection message from Edge:

Can’t connect securely to this page.
    This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.

5. I was not immediately able to send a telnet command (and need to stop for a while). Will see what I can do later.

Overall, still smacks of something blocking me somewhere along the line.

Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2019

Thanks for the thorough investigation, @jstrong611!

Ok, so what you discovered confirms the assumption that there's something wrong with the network and not with your local machine environment.

Now, as I said I don't see any signs that your account is locked in any way on Bitbucket side. We never blacklist IP ranges AFAIK, but we might blacklist specific addresses when we're sure that certain address is trying to DoS/runs a bot violating ToS, etc. Just to eliminate this option can you please check your external IP address, which I believe will be a single NAT address of the ship's network)? You can simply google for "what is my ip", and you'll get it right below the search bar. I'll check that address with the SRE team. However I don't think this will be the cause. 

Another assumption is that Bitbucket has been locked on the ship's network. Can't imagine a reason for this, maybe they found huge traffic to/from it and decided to shape it? I assume the ship is using either cellular or even satellite WAN connection, both of which are quite expensive, so they might want to cut some traffic down.

What you can try as a workaround is to use an external HTTP proxy or a VPN service (running somewhere outside of ship's network). Your laptop will be able to interact with the proxy/VPN server, which in turn will be able to talk to Bitbucket. Do you have a chance to try any of these options?

Cheers,
Daniil

jstrong611 August 24, 2019

I too am starting to suspect that the ship's network is blocking, perhaps due to traffic. What's odd is it worked for a while. I wonder if they saw a blip in usage and then clamped it? Dunno.

Anyway, my IP is: 51.89.34.184

We leave the ship tomorrow for a hotel, then head home from there. At this point, let's suspend the investigation until I am on a different network and - hopefully - this all resolves itself!

If so, I will post that the issue is resolved, and we can move on. Thanks for all of the investigative efforts! :-)

Like Daniil Penkin likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
August 23, 2019

Hello @jstrong611,

I'm not aware of any geo-based firewall filtering rules in Bitbucket. I didn't find any signs of Bitbucket being blocking you for any reason, your account is active. Let's try to trace this down:

• Do you have access to Bitbucket web UI, or is it not available too?
  • Does this happen to all of Bitbucket or just one repository?
  • Can you try fetching/updating the repository in question using command line and see the output? Maybe it'll give some hint on what's happening.

Let me know what you find.

Cheers,
Daniil

0 votes
Mehmet Dama July 18, 2022

Hi,

We are facing similar issue on our office. On our office we can pull from bitbucket repo, but we can not Push to this repo. All of us getting below error message while trying to push;

Push failed Total 10 (delta 9), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0 RPC failed; curl 92 HTTP/2 stream 7 was not closed cleanly before end of the underlying stream send-pack: unexpected disconnect while reading sideband packet the remote end hung up unexpectedly

Also we can not access to bitbucket, Jira and Atlassian ( https://mikrokom-dev.atlassian.net/ ) workspace web pages on our office. When we try to connect over VPN, there is no access problem. Web pages is working and Push operations successful by VPN . 

I guess that there is a ip based block mechanism which blocks our office ip (37.202.49.**). But we can not be sure what is the root cause of this.  

I'll thanks for any suggestion,
Mehmet Dama

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events