Bitbucket windows service starts and stops immediately

Dspiliopoulos April 25, 2018

Hello everyone,

We recently updated our Bitbucket server (running on a windows 2012 machine), to version 5.9.1.

Bitbucket was running just fine after that, for about a day. The service then just stopped working.

After investigating, there seems to have been a problem with the JVM automatically updating itself.

This in turn impacted the jvm.dll path read when the server tries to initialize.

We got that sorted out but now the service just starts and stops immediately.

The logs dont point to anything solid. I must point out that the server works and starts just fine using the batch startup method.

We deleted the service and recreated it, but that did not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

2 answers

0 votes

I seem to have observed something but would appreciate your input as well. I tried starting the service again, which obviously had the same behavior. However, now the log file is giving us a lead.

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Atlassian\ApplicationData\Bitbucket\shared\bitbucket.properties (Access is denied)

The first thing which comes to mind, is the local service account which needs to have access to the Bitbucket directory. That account did not seem to have access to the properties file specified above.

I proceeded by allowing access to the specified file but although the service still crashes, it stays running for a longer time and then crashes.

The error it gives now is different and makes sense:

APPLICATION FAILED TO START

Description:

The Tomcat connector configured to listen on port 7990 failed to start. The port may already be in use or the connector may be misconfigured.

Action:

Verify the connector's configuration, identify and stop any process that's listening on port 7990, or configure this application to listen on another port.

This looks like a good sign to me, as it now picks up on the fact that Bitbucket is already running through the batch file.

I will try stopping the batch file when possible, to check whether the service will keep running.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2018

Yes, that is good sign indeed. Some process is definitely using the port.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2018

You might want to start by checking the Java version it is using now. Also check the memory settings on the JVM to make sure it has the minimum memory required to start your server.

Hello Jobin,

Thanks for your reply. The initial memory pool is set to 512 MB and the maximum memory pool is set to 1024. The java version being used is: 

C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.8.0_65\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events