Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Bitbucket shows unexpected diff

Edited

I created a feature brunch from a tag of the master branch I made changes in one file which are also changed in the master branch. If i create a pullrequest i expect that both files (on actual master branch and the feature branch) are the same, but i get a diff wich looks like bitbucket diffs against the tag on the master branch and not the actual version. Can anybody tell me why it shows the diff?

PullRequest

diff.JPG

File on master

master.JPG

File on feature branch

feature.JPGNetwork view

network.JPG

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kristy Atlassian Team May 23, 2018

Hi @Jens Müller,

On the 'Create Pull Request' page and the 'Compare Branch' page Bitbucket Server shows a 'common ancestor' diff (also known as a 2-way diff). This diff finds the commit that is common to both the source and target branches (known as the common ancestor commit) and compares the latest commit on the source branch with the common ancestor commit. This means that the diff you see does not contain any of the changes from the target branch that happened after you branched.

However, if in the diff view of a created pull request Bitbucket shows the effective diff (also known as a 3-way diff). To show this diff, Bitbucket creates a temporary merge between the source and target branch, and then shows you the diff between that merge commit and the tip of the target branch. This means that the changes you are seeing in a pull request contain the changes from the target branch and represent what the target branch will look like after you perform the merge.

The article 'A better pull request' explains this concept really well.

Hope that helps!

Kristy

Also, in the example you used you will find that the pull request will have a merge conflict because both the source and the target branch modified the same line of the same file.

Hi @Kristy thanks for the answer. Can you explain why there are different merge methods? it is very confusing for me.

Also it confused me that the target commit id is shown as  faf836af17b  which is the latest commit on master.

Also i see no information about a merge conflict. It Shows only "No changes" on the "created pull" page

For anyone reading this post v7 (2020):

unfortunately Bitbucket disabled 3-way diff in v7  resulting in "incorrect" diff mentioned in this question to becomes new standard, i.e. 2-way diff.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

New improvements to user management in Bitbucket Cloud 👥

Hey Community! We’re willing to wager that quite a few of you not only use Bitbucket, but administer it too. Our team is excited to share that we’ll be releasing improvements throughout this month of...

3,744 views 10 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you