Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket release

james_cowan May 10, 2017

What is the equivalent of a github release for a repository - e.g. version 1, version 2 etc.

I guess that creating a branch with a name like version1 is the way to do it?

James

1 answer

0 votes
Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2022

Hi James,

To keep track of the status of the repository at the time of a release, I would use tags . It might be helpful to also keep a branch for each release for some time after a release has been shared with customers for bug fixing purposes. These branches would be short-lived though and can be removed after some time when no further bug fixes are expected.

About the Github releases feature more in general, let me share this comment here by one of our Bitbucket product managers since you might be interested in this as well:

A few quick updates on release/deployment-related functionality in Bitbucket:

• Since this ticket was opened, we launched Bitbucket Pipelines, integrated build, test and deploy (CI/CD) tooling right inside Bitbucket. You can find it under "Pipelines" on any Bitbucket repository where you're an administrator.
  • Pipelines is integrated with the rest of Bitbucket, so you can see build status against commits, branches and pull requests. If you've configured your release build through Pipelines, you'll get this status on your commits throughout the product.
  • This "build status" information is provided as a Bitbucket REST API, and we now have integrations with other CI systems like Jenkins, Bamboo and Circle CI that use this API under the hood. These tools can publish build information to Bitbucket so it's visible in the same places: on commits, branches and pull requests.
  • Bitbucket Downloads has a REST API for publishing your build artifacts. We have a guide on how to publish to Bitbucket Downloads from Pipelines, but the same process will apply with any CI tool.

We're planning on adding deployment tracking (designed primarily for cloud/SaaS teams) to Pipelines in the next six months or so. You can follow this request at BCLOUD-12844. This will provide a page in Bitbucket where you can see a history of deployments, and drill into the detail (commits, etc.) of what went out in each deployment. We'll also be looking to open this up to third party CI/CD tools, similar to the build status API.

If there are some specific bits of release-related functionality you need (from GitHub Releases or elsewhere) that aren't related to Pipelines or BCLOUD-12844 (for cloud/SaaS), and aren't addressed by Bitbucket Downloads (for libraries/download software), please let us know here what specifically you'd like to see.

I know it's been some time since you posted this but I was going through some older questions and thought it would be good to answer this.

Caterina

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events