Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket pipeline fails (ftp) - Error: server response timeout

Pascal Bieri September 17, 2022

My pipeline is not working with the following error:

* Connected to sftp.domain.com (157.90.40.40) port 5544 (#0)
< SSH-2.0-sFTP Server ready.
* server response timeout
* Closing connection 0
curl: (28) server response timeout

Between the "Server ready" and the timeout message there are more messages that create something like a wave. My pipeline yaml:

image: php:7.4

pipelines:
     branches:
       master:
         - step:
             name: Deploy to production
             deployment: production
             script:
               - apt-get update
               - apt-get -qq install git-ftp
               - git ftp init -vv --user $LiveFTPUsername --passwd $LiveFTPPassword ftp://sftp.domain.com:5544

I also tried with different ports and with ftp but i get errors all the time. Do you have an idea what the problem could be?

1 answer

1 vote
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2022

Hey @Pascal Bieri 

Welcome to the community!

The error message you share seems to be a generic error message that happens when a connection unable to establish between client and server. 

In this case, the pipeline received a timeout from your FTP server. So I wonder if your FTP server is accessible externally. I would suggest you verify

• If your server is accessible externally from your end or another machine with the port given
  • Does your server behind a firewall? If yes, have you whitelist our IP from the list Bitbucket IPs list for pipeline 

That said, I believe you'll have to configure your git FTP before running the init as per the documentation here 

# Setup
git config git-ftp.url "ftp://ftp.example.net:21/public_html"
git config git-ftp.user "ftp-user"
git config git-ftp.password "secr3t"

# Upload all files
git ftp init

Do try to set up the config first before FTP init the repository. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Pascal Bieri September 29, 2022

Thx @Syahrul

Im just checking with the hosting provider. It just happens on a specific one, might be a problem with the firewall.

Like Syahrul likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events