Bitbucket pipeline/artifactory: environmental variables in gradle.build file not recognized

Matt Takao November 2, 2018

I have a bitbucket pipeline script and a version.sh bash script that are playing nicely. The pipeline will call the version script and there are environment variables inside version.sh that are referenced correctly by bitbucket (I added the variables in settings for the repo).

However, I also have variables now in my gradle.build file, but these keep giving me errors in the pipeline when I try a gradle build.

The error I keep getting is could not get unknown property '$context_url' for root project 'my_project' of type org.gradle.api.Project.

The variables are in the artifactory/publish section:

artifactory {    
contextUrl
= $context_url publish {
repository
{
repoKey
= 'repo'
username
= $artifactory_user password = $artifactory_password }
defaults
{
publications
('mavenJava')
publishArtifacts
= true
publishPom
= true } } }

I've tried different syntax in the gradle.build file, such as:

• $context_url
  • '$context_url'
  • "$context_url"

The variables work locally, I have the variables stored in my personal ~/gradle/gradle.properties file.

Not sure what else to try.

2 answers

0 votes
lpicquet November 2, 2021

In bitbucket, I defined a workspace variable

ORG_GRADLE_PROJECT_artifactory_user

which gradle interprets as the 'artifactory_user' property.

0 votes
Jeroen De Raedt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2018

Hi @Matt Takao,

Take a look at this tutorial: https://medium.com/@ubuntudroid/handling-environment-variables-in-gradle-fb1b8bb6c758 (specifically the last section: "In case you want to be able to provide the token in both ways ...). 

This should give you a way to use the variables from your local gradle.properties file when you are developing on your local machine - or from environment variables when running in the Bitbucket Pipelines environment. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events