Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket.org git-push: fatal: unable to create thread: Resource temporarily unavailable, error: pack-objects died with strange error

Bronius Motekaitis April 4, 2013

Symptom:

git push --progress -v
Pushing to git@bitbucket.org:XXX/XXX.git
Counting objects: ###, done.
Delta compression using up to 16 threads.
fatal: unable to create thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
error: pack-objects died with strange error
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@bitbucket.org:XXX/XXX.git'

What I had read suggested that this is something that can only be alleviated at the server side (and I'm using a hosted bitbucket.org Git repo). Note, this may be following a fairly substantial git commit containing 100s of files of modifications and deletions during a botched Drupal contrib modules update....

Smart man Marcus Bertrand [Atlassian] correctly pointed out that this was actually a local client (well, remote dev where I'm git-commit'ing) configuration issue. I was unable to crack the specific config to push it through (ha, get it?) but this clever workaround DID do the trick for me:

1. Mash down the whole local repo for transport:
    tar zcf projectgit.tgz .git
  2. Pull the tgz in locally to my mac.
  3. On local mac, untar:
    tar zxf projectgit.tgz
  4. Not sure this next step was indeed necessary:
    git repack
    But it did work here whereas it did not work there!
  5. Push to remote repo at bitbucket.org:
    git push
  6. Go back to the other server which suffered under some memory or other limitation and see if it worked:
    git pull
    I saw "Already up to date" and saw I was home free!

To confirm all was made aright again, I made a quick git commit, git push (voila!), git pull, git goin' goin', git gone!

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Bronius Motekaitis April 4, 2013

Bronius, you can see you did in fact answer your question in the same breath with which you had asked it. To this, I dub thee a darn fool and community advocate.

Thanks @marcus from https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BBKB/Git?focusedCommentId=335479327#comment-335479327

0 votes
keshav0001 October 10, 2014

Thanks Bronius, your method did the trick for me too!

however was wondering if we can limit these threads while compression somehow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events