cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket groups in active directory

Reneesh Kottakkalathil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2019

We're planning to use active directory groups for Bitbucket roles. Can you please let me know how many active directory groups you have created for bitbucket?  I'm thinking to create two groups 1)grp_leads  2_grp_users. Are these two groups sufficient to start with?

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2019

I am using two main groups in my Bitbucket environment, bitbucket-administrators and bitbucket-users. I also have a couple of team groups for a subset of our repositories that should not be available to all Bitbucket users.

How many groups you use depends on what you want to accomplish. To you want to allow all users to create new repositories, or should you allow just a subset of users to do that? Are you planning on just allowing a specific set of users to do changes on a branch, like locking down master to only a few people?

Reneesh Kottakkalathil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2019

Thanks Mikael.  Here is my plan, let me know if you see any issues or concers. We want to start with little first and then mature as we move forward.

Create 3 active directory groups

1. grp_admins - Who manages the global permissions and all system configurations(basically bitbucket admin)

2. grp_leads - Development leads will have access to create projects and manage projects.

3.grp_users -  Normal developers. Their permissions will be managed by the leads as to whether edit, clone or view projects or plans.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2019

Looks good to me.

Like Reneesh Kottakkalathil likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events