Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket fails to start - SpringMVC dispatcher [springMvc] could not be started

Joel Andrews October 7, 2022

Hi There,

I recently upgraded to 8.4.1 without any issues, however, upon a system restart Bitbucket refuses to start again, in the GUI it's throwing this error: 

• SpringMVC dispatcher [springMvc] could not be started

In the logs I am seeing these errors:

2022-10-07 10:44:46,992 ERROR [spring-startup] c.a.j.s.w.s.JohnsonDispatcherServlet SpringMVC dispatcher [springMvc] could not be started
org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Failed to start bean 'meshController'; nested exception is com.atlassian.bitbucket.repository.RepositoryOfflineException: bitbucket.scm.repository.offline

Caused by: com.atlassian.bitbucket.repository.RepositoryOfflineException: bitbucket.scm.repository.offline
Caused by: io.grpc.StatusRuntimeException: UNAVAILABLE: io exception
Caused by: io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused: localhost/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1:7777
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: finishConnect(..) failed: Connection refused

I haven't found any answers so far that have helped to resolve this, please advise.
Thank you,
Joel

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Philipp Schweizer October 11, 2022

Same here, the fix was to downgrade the local version of git.

From 2.38.0 to 2.37.3 in our case

Even the official docs say, that it simply must be higher than 2.31 - nevermind

Have a nice day.

Stephen Leavitt October 11, 2022

I just encountered this as well. Bitbucket Server 8.3.1 on Ubuntu 18.04, unattended-upgrades upgraded git from the git-core PPA from 1:2.37.3-0ppa1~ubuntu18.04.1 to 1:2.38.0-0ppa1~ubuntu18.04.1. I had to download the source and rebuild the packages, but after installing 2.37.3, Bitbucket Server now appears to start without issue.

@Philipp Schweizer Thank you for documenting your fix, it helped here as well.

Joel Andrews October 12, 2022

Thank you!  I ended up removing the Ubuntu packaged version of Git and downloading and compiling git-2.37.3.  That resolved the issue for me!

https://github.com/git/git/archive/v2.37.3.zip

@Philipp Schweizer @Stephen Leavitt 

CTL ENG Tools October 14, 2022

@Philipp Schweizer thank you.

We were testing out Git 2.38.0 to see if 2.37.x listed under Supported platforms is a hard limit, and apparently, it is!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events