Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket extension for visual studio - not allowing to login

aravindk777 October 10, 2019

I installed the bitbucket extension for VS 2017/2019 (tried in both versions that I have on my two machines). I have a free plan account with bitbucket and I could not login either using my email and pwd or username/pwd combination. It gives me the unauthorized error always.

Bitbucket_VS_extn_login_err.png

3 answers

3 votes
Joseph Mirwald March 16, 2021

I use two factor authentication and without warning it does not work with auto login in Visual Studio 2017 anymore.
I looked at  Visual Studio Marketplace  and found an answer which worked for me.

I created an App Password in bitbucket and used the User-name which is generated for the url of git. Instead of the FQDN or email. Only the username is used for login.

Example: git URL :https://j_mayers@bitbucket.org/...

The user name is: j_mayers
(without @ and DN)

Hope this helps others.

Regards,

Joseph

Daquan Wright October 3, 2021

This is exactly what worked for me........was driving me MAD after the initial login failed several times and even the app password wasn't working either. I switched to that username and bingo! Thanks buddy.  ;)

Like Taurique Toffie likes this
Udochukwu Eze January 28, 2022

@Joseph Mirwald  Please how did you access the "url of git".  I understand we can pick the user-name from there. But am not sure how to find the URL of Git 

Like burakturan9 likes this
Joseph Mirwald January 28, 2022

Example:

Your email: Udochukwu.eze@somehwere.far

Your Bitbucket Account is mastered of: somecompany.far

Your Project is named: someproject

The URL is:

https://Udochukwu_eze@bitbucket.org/somecompanyfar/someproject.git

Hope that helps, because your question seems a bit confusing. We talk about accessing git Repository after change to "app-passwords" in bitbucket.

Taurique Toffie April 13, 2022

Thanks @Joseph Mirwald worked like a charm 1st time!

0 votes
anupama junior February 22, 2023

Hello,

We are using citrix Bitbucket server, and also installed visual studio with bitbucket extension. 

There is no option in bitbucket to create a app password, and we tried it to login by repository url, bitbucket main url, email and password(password which we use to login bitbucket server)

But still getting 2 errors i.e. Wrong request and Invalid credentials. 

Please can you help to connect bitbucket to visual studio when both are under citrix. 

Below is the screenshot 

bit.jpg

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2019

Hi @aravindk777 , welcome to the Community!

I unerstand you're having difficulties to connect to Bitbucket using the Visual Studio extension. For troubleshooting purposes, could you try to log in to Bitbucket directly using your browser and the same credentials you're trying with the Visual Studio app and let us know if it works?

If Bitbucket works but you're still unable to log in through the extension, please contact the developer of the plugin so they can continue helping you, you can find their page at Visual Studio Marketplace.

Hope that helps,

Ana 

Sameer Shahul March 6, 2021

Hi, I have same issue. My bitbucket account is 2 factor auth enabled. What should I do now ?

Regards,

Sameer

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events