Bitbucket data center fails to create a repository

Hi,

I'm currently working on setting up a bitbucket data center using the trial version of the product for a proof of concept. The issue I'm encountering is that creating a repo is failing. I'm able to set up users groups edit server setting, create projects and set permissions. I've already setup all the shared instances required by bitbucket and am still struggling to get the adding repos working. I can't find the error anywhere in logs however when I press create I get

{projectName}\{projectRepo} could not be created

Could someone point me in the direction of solving this issue or let me know where I can find error logs from such problems?

Thanks,

Maciej

2 answers

First, I would suggest verifying that you followed all of the instructions on the setup docs. Data Center is quite a bit more complicated to set up than Server. Don't skip any steps.

My guess is that it has something to do with your shared storage volume. I would verify that the shared storage volume is mounted to the shared/ directory per the docs. I would then verify that the user that Bitbucket runs as can write to the volume.  

If those tests pass, I would look at Git. First, check the Supported Platforms page for the version you are running (pro tip: google search for "bitbucket <version number> supported platforms" ) The range of supported Git versions for your version of Bitbucket will be listed there. If you're running a variant of RedHat linux, it may be challenging to find an RPM of Git that you need for your linux distro.  We see this problem often enough that we have a CentOS6 and CentOS7 rpm-build server so we can make our own packages easily. It's easy to get the srpm that you need, install rpm-build and roll your own if you need to. 

I hope that helps get you unstuck.

Craig Castle-Mead Community Champion Feb 18, 2018

Agree with Dave's thought of it being a storage/permissions issue. Users/groups/projects are all stored in the DB, but a repository needs to write to your shared storage.

CCM

0 vote

Hi,

Further to Dave's answer, I'd try to create the repo and then look at the Bitbucket Server logs in <BitbucketHome>/log/atlassian-bitbucket.log file to see which error occurs.

Cheers,

Christian

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

25,377 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you