Bitbucket creates branch like it is created by different person

Idil_Baykent April 14, 2020

Hello,

This morning I wanted to create a branch for my task. I created the branch but after I realized the branch looks like it is created by someone else in my team. I deleted the branch and created again, and it had another person's name on it. I realize that the branch is created by the name of the last person who merged code to Develop branch. This never happened before. Also, the branch's creation date is the same as the merge time. This causes some issues about filtering, adding reviewers to the PR and so on. Do we know about some kind of behavior as normal or is this a bug that needs to be solved?

Best Regards,

Idil

1 answer

0 votes
Daniil Penkin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2020

Hello @Idil_Baykent ,

Welcome to the Community!

A branch in Git is just a pointer to a commit. It has no metadata other than the name and commit hash, that is there's no creator or creation date for a branch. Commit also doesn't reference any branch (unlike Mercurial), the pointer is one-way.

I guess by "branch looks like it is created by someone else" you mean the Updated column in the branch list view? It shows the metadata of the commit that branch points to, so yes, what you observed is the expected behaviour. As soon as you make any commit on that new branch, it'll show the metadata of your commit instead: when you push a commit, the pointer of the relevant branch is moved to the new tip commit.

Does this make sense? Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Daniil

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events