Bitbucket app passwords - where do I use?

proteusleadership February 6, 2022

I am updating my account with App Passwords as the Login password will no longer be able to be used for Git over HTTPS, Bitbucket API, or both (Git over HTTPS and Bitbucket API 

So my question is, will I need to update my password in VS Code (to app password), where I push my code to Bit Bucket via GIT? If so, what is the best way to do it in VS Code?

Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2022

Hi @proteusleadership 

Welcome to the community šŸ™‚

Yes Correct going forward you need to authenticate with App password for remote authentication with bitbucket repositories

For VS code the OAuth will take action when you try to authenticate with bitbucket repo

Here's a guide

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/clone-a-git-repository

Thanks,

Pramodh

proteusleadership February 6, 2022

Thanks @Pramodh M too easy.

Like ā€¢ Pramodh M likes this
0 votes
Ollie Branch March 10, 2022

Can I use app password with git? How? My app password is -redacted-, I made it to be able to do everything. Let me know, please! I can not commit to bitbucket

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2022

Hi @Ollie Branch ,

Just a heads up I removed the app password you posted, as this is a public forum and can be viewed by anyone.  But I highly recommend resetting the app password at your earliest convenience in case someone decides to access it without your consent.

Regards,
Earl

Mohd Saquib Khan April 14, 2022

Hi @Earl McCutcheon 

If someone had stolen the app password and the email address used for Bitbucket account, is it enough to revoke the app password and make a new one? Because the VScode is still able to access the repo even after revoking the app password. Please let me know what measures should be taken?

Regards,

Mohd Saquib Khan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events