Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Bitbucket: Two-step verification code rejected

Edited

When I logged in yesterday two factor authentication did not work. I use Google Authenticator. Using a recovery code I got in.

I have now tried with both Google Authenticator and Authy. Both get the codes rejected. The codes for other sites work fine. I've tried disabling and re-enabling two-step verification within Bitbucket a few times. I also have Google Authenticator and Authy on both an Android phone and Android tablet, and have tried codes from both.

I've also confirmed that the date/time on my phone are correct.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro. I've tried with: Firefox 68 64-bit, Chrome 76 64-bit, Microsoft Edge 44.

Any ideas why tw-step verification codes are rejected?

Bitbucket code rejected.png

3 answers

1 vote
GP Atlassian Team Sep 22, 2020

+1 to checking the date/time on your phone before going through support. This has been my issue more often than not. 

If you have an easy password and you think that he needs double verification like your account, then of course you need to activate it and spend half an hour logging into your account. Or is there a way easier than to climb sites and applications confirming your account, it's just to come up with a password that is more difficult but remember it or write it down somewhere, and if you write it down according to yours, it’s dangerous and you’re lucky to have such a wonderful site like https://uk.verifywithsms.com/ which will record your data and provide you by SMS at any time convenient for you.

0 votes
Ana Retamal Atlassian Team Sep 03, 2019

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out and for sending us that screenshot. 

Are those Google Authenticator and Authy the apps that you got set up when you enabled 2fa? Seems like something went wrong and the apps are not giving you codes for the right application.

My recommendation would be to use a recovery code to get into your account, disable two-step verification, and then enable it again following the steps at Two-step verification. For the authentication app, the easiest method to set up the application is to scan a QR code with your mobile device.

Let us know how it goes,

Ana

@Ana Retamal

I have it working, but now have a different issue.

When I log into Bitbucket I'm asked for a verification code for Atlassian, then one for Bitbucket.

I have 2FA enabled for both. That is because the Bitbucket account was set up before there was a requirement to use An Atlassian account to log in.

• Am I correct in thinking that I can only log into Bitbucket using an Atlassian account? If yes, why is 2FA still available in Bitbucket?
  • Would I be reducing the security if I disabled the Bitbucket 2FA, but left the Atlassian 2FA enabled?

You were able to solve the issue? Please share.

I am exp the same issue as the OP. I have even currently disabled the two step and every time I try to login in it ask for a two step verification even when disable. I tried to use the recovery key which dose not allow me in but just send me back to the two step verification page. 

I am experiencing the parent issue in this thread as well as this last comment.  Please help as I have tried everything that is recommended several times.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

New improvements to user management in Bitbucket Cloud 👥

Hey Community! We’re willing to wager that quite a few of you not only use Bitbucket, but administer it too. Our team is excited to share that we’ll be releasing improvements throughout this month of...

3,927 views 10 16
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you