Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Server to Slack Notifications not working

p2paul October 25, 2022

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a standard webhook in my repo from Bitbucket (server) to post notifications to a Slack channel. 

I have tested curl to the Slack channel and confirmed it works correctly and therefore is configured on the Slack side correctly.   (I tried from the Slack side both via custom integration and via Slack apps)

However, when I try to test the webhook, or make a repo change that should trigger the webhook, the webhook fails with a 400 response code and either the message "no text" or "missing_text_or_fallback_or_attachments".   

Investigating further, looks like communication to Slack is working but the payload from Bitbucket is not.   

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?  

Please note, I cannot use the Slack Integration add-on because my bitbucket server is behind a firewall and NOT accessible from the internet.   Though, I'm not sure if it's possible to still use the slack integration minus the Slack to Bitbucket communication. If anyone has tested that, let me know as well.  

For what it is worth, I followed the instruction here to set up the custom Slack app and use a webhook to it from Bitbucket: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/slack/use-slack-and-bitbucket-server-together-974387205.html 

This document states: "you are still able to setup a limited connection with Slack by creating a custom Slack app that will give you notifications from Bitbucket to Slack. See how to create an app below in this page."

Thanks for any input. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mykhailo Vlasov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2022

Hello @p2paul !

I am member of the team that supports official Atlassian integration - Bitbucket Server for Slack. I have just tested the latest version of the plugin (4.0.4) locally on my Bitbucket Server that isn't accessible from the internet and it successfully sends notifications to Slack in limited mode. I am not aware about configuration of your firewall, but if your desktop or web Slack client works fine, there are big chances for Bitbucket plugin to do the same.

The limited mode was specifically designed for such use case, when Bitbucket Server doesn't have a public URL, that may be used by Slack. Only outbound requests to Slack API and authentication pages need to be allowed.

p2paul October 27, 2022

Thanks Mykhailo!

We went ahead with the limited mode and it works exactly as expected. Appreciate the quick response.

Like Mykhailo Vlasov likes this
0 votes
황인택
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 12, 2024

Seems like I am having the same problem.

I am trying to use zapier to filter new messages from Bitbucket Slack Bot but can't because the `Text` field is arrived empty.

Messages from jirabot are working fine. Their `Text` fields are filled with texts.

please share your thoughts on this. @p2paul 

스크린샷 2024-02-13 오후 3.55.53.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events