Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Server outgoing email server configuration failure

rangarajks September 3, 2020

I have Bitbucket server and Jira installed on the same machine, I am using the same email server configuration for both tools, Jira works without any problem but in bitbucket, I am getting send fail with the following exception.

javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not convert socket to TLS

Email server configuration,

hostname: smtp.office365.com

Port:587

Protocol: SMTP

Use SSL/TLS if available checked

username and from address are the same

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2020

Hi rangarajks,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

The error message suggests the secured (SSL/TLS) connection to the Office 365 mailserver could not be established, most likely due to some SSL certificate issues.

In case it was not just a temporary issue with Microsoft Cloud services I'd check on a lower level first if connection works (for example using a tutorial to be found on the internet). You said you have both services running on the same machine - therefore the check should show up no problems.
The next step I would take is to check if bitbucket is utilizing the appropriate SSL certificate for Microsoft 365 service. Probably Microsoft had to renew a SSL certificate on their end.
As a last resort a clean restart of Bitbucket might also help.

Please also check if there are further errors in log file that could be of help.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events