Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Server case sensitive (Debian) - Client ignores case sensitivity (Windows)

comurphy April 18, 2017

So, windows directories aren't case sensitive; other OSes are. This can cause subtle issues with git, when serving widows clients with bitbucket server on linux.

Default Sourcetree & git configuration is: core.ignorecase=true. This basically aliases all directories with the same name, but different case. New files will be added with whatever case the user has, modified files will retain case, and the client will have no idea there are case differences at all. When viewing in Bitbucket the files will be split between the directories with different case, but will always appear as one on the client.

My question is whether the core.ignorecase=true configuration is available on Bitbucket Server and if this is a good/bad idea to use?

I can think of a couple other ways to mitigate these issues:

• "Just don't do it". Keep cases consistent. The problem was introduced by code not developed under source control, added later; this would be much harder to do if the directory was cloned
  • Set core.ignorecase=false; this would make it more obvious that something funny is going on

Any opinions on the best way to handle these annoyances? I know other users have encountered this in the past.

Edit: Said Bitbucket instead of Sourcetree

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events