Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Server Webinterface cannot access README.md

Jannis Fischer September 14, 2020

Dear Community,

I have the following problem: Whenever I open a Bitbucket folder within a repository with a README.md, I get "An error occured. Something went wrong while trying to serve your request. Try reloading the page." When I click on the filename "README.md", I get "403 Forbidden". Cloning works fine, including README.md. Does anyone know how to fix this strange issue? I have had it with Bitbucket 6.0.0 and it remains after upgrading to 7.5.2. Disabling all add-ons does not help either.

Thank you for your help

Jannis

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 29, 2020

Hello Jannis,

I see that our support team was able to help resolve this issue via the support case you raised. For the benefit of others who may encounter this question on Community, I am including the findings here.

The configuration for Apache (in httpd.conf) which was used as a reverse proxy included a match directive that blocked the readme.md file. This configuration appears to be default in some software packages:

<LocationMatch "(?i:(?:wp-config\\.bak|\\.wp-config\\.php\\.swp|(?:readme|license|changelog|-config|-sample)\\.(?:php|md|txt|htm|html)))">
Require all denied

Removing the matcher for the *md* extension or the *readme* filename from the matcher will allow Bitbucket to serve the file correctly.

Cheers,
Daniel

Dmytro Prib December 2, 2020

Thanks! I spent a lot of time until I found your article =)

0 votes
Dmytro Prib December 2, 2020

For nginx

# "Block author scans"
# To remove this rule, revert this security measure on each WordPress installation on this domain
location ~* "(?:wp-config\.bak|\.wp-config\.php\.swp|(?:license|changelog|-config|-sample)\.(?:php|txt|htm|html))" {
return 403;
}

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events