Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket: README.textile not rendering

VSS Engineering July 13, 2018

Seems that these pages are either incomplete or wrong:

Dress up your repository with a README

README content

My README.textile is not rendering at all. Do I need to enable Textile markup for it to work?

textile.png

Markdown does render.readme.png

I use Textile everyday, but do not know Markdown at all. Would much prefer to use Textile.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 15, 2018

Hi @VSS Engineering,

While Bitbucket Cloud (https://bitbucket.org) supports other extensions, Bitbucket Server does not.

The links in your question all refer to the Cloud version of our offering.

For Bitbucket Server we have an open request to support these extensions:

BSERV-5384 - Ability to render other README formats, such as reStructuredText

Feel free to join the conversation there and add your use case there for our team.

Cheers,

Caterina - Atlassian

VSS Engineering July 19, 2018

Thanks for the reply Caterina. I guess one of the problems is that Bitbucket [Cloud] vs. Bitbucket Server is not an option for Browsing Support:

Capture.PNGSo when I look for support for "my Bitbucket" I cannot find any (and was unaware of the distinction). Seems like a major oversight. I understand that you are trying to get people to use the Cloud, but this seems a bit much.

I have added my vote to the case you mentioned and sent feedback on the "README content" post.

Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 19, 2018

Hi @VSS Engineering,

Thanks for your comment on the feature request.

Regarding your feedback, I can see that and I shared this with the community "owners".

When creating a new post (question, article or discussion), it is possible to choose a the hosting type:

Bitbucket.png

But this is not as visible when searching/browsing for content.

Cheers,
Caterina 

VSS Engineering July 19, 2018

You wrote (my emphasis added):

"But this is not as visible when searching/browsing for content."

I would say that the distinction between "Bitbucket [Cloud]" and "Bitbucket Server" and therefore missing features from "Bitbucket Server" are not visible at all from any context.

The distinction between "Bitbucket [Cloud]" and "Bitbucket Server" is not something that Atlassian is honest about. Please note the header of my Bitbucket GUI:

Capture.PNG

As far as I can tell I am using "Bitbucket" so I expect all the features of "Bitbucket" to work.

Remember most people are going to find content using a search engine (I used Google). So any "hosting type" is immaterial since the page does not include a support matrix for different types.

Easy Fix: Add a list of products the page supports.

Page applies to the following products:

[x] 'Bitbucket Cloud'
[x] 'Bitbucket Server'

And make sure to add 'Bitbucket Cloud'  and 'Bitbucket Server' to the Browse section and breadcrumbs of the sites:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2018

Noted and understood @VSS Engineering!

This is not something that can be "quickly changed" but I'll bring it up with the relevant parties involved.

VSS Engineering July 23, 2018

Thanks Caterina, much appreciated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events