Bitbucket Pull-Request features

Enno March 27, 2023

Hi,

I am wondering about some Pull-Request features and settings that I would find very useful. Some of them are inspired by existing features from gitlab merge-requests.

• Notion of comment threads:
    On Gitlab, when a reviewer makes a new comment it opens a new comment thread. This thread needs to be actively closed. Otherwise the PRs will not be mergeable. So for example a team could follow a protocoll, where is the reviewer closes the thread when he is happy with the discussion or the code change.
  • Code suggestions:
    With our current version of bitbucket we cannot do code changes. I heard that the feature exists on bitbucket too. However unsure on how to enable it.

In Gitlab it is possible to give some code changes that can be applied to the branch with one click. And then event batch them into a single 'feedback' commit. This is useful for fixing minor changes e.G. typos.
  • Setting to automatically unapproving a PR once a has been applied ontop of an already approved PR.
  • Setting to no mark commet as outdated by default if diff is applied to a line.
    For example, a reviewer adds a comment to a line. The person who opened the PR, makes a new commit with breaking changes. The comment is automatically marked as 'outdated' and appears irrelvant. Although the code chage is not valid at all. Its cumbersome for the reviewer to go through outdated comments to check which ones are still valid and which ones are not.

It would be useful to know if those features and settings already exists somewhere ?
What the community thinks of these ?
Or wont be expected to exists in the future for a given reason ?

1 answer

1 vote
Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Hi @Enno

Notion of comment threads:
Bitbucket does not have this feature of comment threads as of now. However, you can use the "reply" feature in Bitbucket to continue discussions in a thread-like fashion.

Code suggestions:
Bitbucket does have the "suggestions" feature where you can suggest code changes in a pull request. To enable this feature, you need to go to the pull request settings and select "Allow edits from maintainers". This will allow reviewers to suggest changes in the pull request.

Setting to automatically unapproving a PR once a has been applied on top of an already approved PR:
Bitbucket does not have this feature currently, but you can achieve this using third-party integrations like ScriptRunner or Automation for Jira.

Setting to not mark comments as outdated by default if diff is applied to a line:
Bitbucket does not have this feature currently. However, you can manually mark a comment as not outdated by clicking the "Resolve Thread" button in the comment.

I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Enno March 29, 2023

thank you @Oday Rafeh 

On code suggestions:

Bitbucket does have the "suggestions" feature where you can suggest code changes in a pull request. To enable this feature, you need to go to the pull request settings and select "Allow edits from maintainers". This will allow reviewers to suggest changes in the pull request.

Code suggestions seem to be documented on this page.
(Note currently confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/commenting-on-a-pull-request-1027119882.html seems unavailable)

However the UI in the docs there looks totally different to the one that shows up on my PRs.

For example: 
I cannot see "Allow edits from maintaineres" in the settings.
image.png

Also when opening a comment thread there is no code suggestion icon, as documented on the docs.

On Notion of comment threads:
Also 'tasks' are mentioned in the docs further up, which also sound very useful. 
Again, no button for that seems to show up either.

--------

I created a new bitbucket account to test this with.
It matches what I see with my work's account.

Could there be different versions of bitbucket pull-requests UIs out there ?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events