Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Project structure

Jozef Vandenmooter March 20, 2019

We are migrating a ton of projects from Subversion into Bitbucket and the client wants to maintain the directory structure in BB. They are surprised they will be forced into a "flattened" Project -> Repo -> <Directories inside repo> structure.

Does BB allow for creating Project "hierarchies"?

For example, they would like to see the following SVN project

/Lego/Libraries/NetworkDeviceLibrary/DeviceDescriptionFiles

/Lego/Libraries/NetworkDeviceLibrary/DeviceAutomationFiles

to be represented in BB as 

Project Lego

Sub-project Libraries

Sub-Sub-project NetworkDeviceLibrary 

Repo DeviceDescriptionFiles

Repo DeviceAutomationFiles

Is there a plugin that allows setting up Project hierarchies?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2019

Hello Jozef,

Congratulations on making the move over to Bitbucket. The issue with the file/folder structure that you mention has more to do with Git then it does with Bitbucket itself. Since Bitbucket sits on top of Git, you will need to make the adjustment within the Git path itself. I would like to explain further how to accomplish this, but I found a StackOverflow post which has an excellent answer on multiple options to do this. You may find this post at How can I make a hierarchy of repositories with Git ?

I hope this post proves helpful and provides some guidance in accomplishing your goals.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Jozef Vandenmooter March 25, 2019

Stephen,

Thanks for the response. I had come to the same conclusion: this has indeed nothing to do with Bitbucket. Actually, BB improves on the situation since it allows organizing Git repos into Projects.

However, that ability is not very useful as long as we can't add the same git repos (created to represent Subversion externals) to mulitple projects (https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/12256/allow-repositories-to-be-in-multiple)

Jozef  

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Adam Jung
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 5, 2019

It sounds like he doesn't want a file/folder hierarchy, but a repository dependency hierarchy.  I've seen something like this in gitlab with submodules.  submodules are a git feature, not a gitlab feature, so they are supported in Bitbucket.  See https://www.atlassian.com/blog/archives/git-submodules , perhaps.

Like Jozef Vandenmooter likes this
Jozef Vandenmooter November 5, 2019

Thanks Adam. That's exactly what I ended up doing :P

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events