cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Pipelines really slow in build setup

René Dyhr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 23, 2024

We're slowly merging from Jenkins to use Bitbucket Pipelines instead.

Though, we're experiencing that build setup is very slow and it seems like it's git clone that's slow.

I've set clone depth to 1 to try and mitigate it a bit, but it still takes 1 minute per step just for cloning...

Our repo size is 2.4GB, but that can't be the whole reason for it, can it?

The pipeline is taking its time with 12 steps all taking 1 minute just for build setup and first then start the actual pipeline scripts.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2024

Hi René and welcome to the community!

Does this repo have any large binary files on the branch/commit where the build runs? Such files may cause slowness in Git operations.

Does this Pipelines build run on Atlassian's infrastructure or are you using a self-hosted runner? In case you use a self-hosted runner, clone times may be affected by network issues between the server where the runner runs and Bitbucket Cloud.

If the build runs on Atlassian's infrastructure, I suggest cloning on your computer the branch where the affected Pipelines build runs. If you observe that the time taken is not similar to the time the cloning takes in Pipelines, then please create a ticket with the support team and share the URL of one of the affected builds for further investigation.

You can create a ticket via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/, in "What can we help you with?" select "Technical issues and bugs" and then Bitbucket Cloud as product. When you are asked to provide the workspace URL, please make sure you enter the URL of the workspace that is on a paid billing plan to proceed with ticket creation.

Kind regards,
Theodora

René Dyhr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 27, 2024

Hi Theodora,

Thank you for the answer and tips!

I might be a problem that we have a fair few mp4 files in our repo, this could potentially add up and therefor be slow, it makes sense.

We are using Atlassian's infrastructure, so it would be even slower on our own hardware with the network etc.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2024

Hi René,

Indeed, I believe that the mp4 files are most likely causing the slowness during clone.

If you don't need these files during the build, you could migrate the repo to Git LFS (track the mp4 files with Git LFS):

Git LFS files do not get cloned during build setup by default and there is a flag to download them in a certain step if needed:

Please keep in mind that migrating a repo to Git LFS is a process that includes history rewrite, so the commit hashes of the repo will change. If you would like to convert the repo to use Git LFS, I recommend discussing this with your team first to avoid any confusion.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events