Bitbucket Pipelines and git submodules

Hello!

How can I make Pipelines work when my repo contains git submodules that need to be initialized before the build is started?

5 answers

4 votes

you'll need to reconfigure the git remote to pull from Bitbucket. Pipelines uses an O-auth token to do the initial cloning which is then destroyed immediately afterwards.

First you'll want to create an app-password for the user who's going to access the submodules (App passwords are here in Bitbucket Cloud | Bitbucket Blog). This will ensure you can work with 2fa enabled on the account.

Then you'll need to provide the username and app-password as Bitbucket Pipelines variables (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Environment+variables+in+Bitbucket+Pipelines)

assuming you've named them USERNAME and PASSWORD, add this step to the start of your pipeline:

git remote set-url origin https://$USERNAME:$PASSWORD@bitbucket.org/team/repo.git

followed by initialising your submodules

git submodule update --init

Hi I have tried 20+ times but until the `git submodule update --init` step, it always said:

+ git submodule update --init
Submodule 'dev/scripts/api' (git@bitbucket.org:team/services.git) registered for path 'dev/scripts/api'
Cloning into 'dev/scripts/api'...
Warning: Permanently added 'bitbucket.org' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.

Permission denied (publickey).

fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
fatal: clone of 'git@bitbucket.org:team/services.git' into submodule path 'dev/scripts/api' failed

Anyone has experienced this?

Did you solve this issue?

I'm running into the same problem :(

Please note that, the environment variable $USERNAME mentioned by Sebastian should be account username instead of the app password username. The password should be the password from one of the app passwords you've created in account settings.

It surely is a "massive missing feature in BB Pipelines". After 9 months passing by, is this fixed now? or is it still a manual submodule update?

That isn't enough.

If your submodules point at an ssh Bitbucket url (git@bitbucket.org:org/repo.git), you need to change the url of the submodule as well. I did it like this:

git config --file=.gitmodules submodule.$SUBMODULENAME.url https://$USERNAME:$PASSWORD@bitbucket.org/org/repo.git

Then it's the standard git submodule update --init.

This feels like a massive missing feature in BB Pipelines and I hope it gets resolved in future updates!

This seems fixed now with the SSH keys available in pipelines.

1. Create an SSH keypair for the repo that runs the pipeline that needs to init a submodule

2. Add the public key to the submodule repo.

3. add `git submodule update --init` to your pipeline script

Works. Thanks.

Atlassian, this needs urgent fixing! I thought the advantage of using Bitbucket pipelines over some external CI system was the better integration with Bitbucket. Turns out that's not the case. Sad!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

651 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot