Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Pipeline BRANCH_SLUG

guice666 October 18, 2017

I see there is no BRANCH_SLUG environment variable. How do we create one?

Use case: we use feature/ branch and need to publish that into a URL format. There's a slug for repo name, but not branch name.

Thanks,

2 answers

0 votes
Lukáš Tomek April 26, 2020

I got into the same issue today. While BITBUCKET_BRANCH variable exists, it does not fit to our needs because it may contain characters which are not compatible or may break your url. I like the idea how gitlab handles refs. There's no branch or tag, there's just reference, which may be either the branch name, or the tag name. And there's also REF_SLUG, which is webalized version of the ref name:

Lowercased, shortened to 63 bytes, and with everything except 0-9 and a-z replaced with -. No leading / trailing -. Use in URLs, host names and domain names.

I know we can make this variable possible with usage of bash tools, but could be good to have ootb and same for all projects.

Thanks,

L.

0 votes
davina
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2017

Hi Philip,

We have the 

BITBUCKET_BRANCH

environment variable.

Is this not what you want?

guice666 May 1, 2020

See Lukas's reply below. No, it does not work. It doesn't clean the branch name, e.g. "feature/my-branch-#ticket"

Like Pavel likes this
Pavel January 14, 2021

Come on, 3 years gone, and still no so needed variable?

Benjamin Staubli January 25, 2022

4 years gone and still not there... even though repo_slug exists.... @davina any news on this?

Robin Windey October 19, 2022

As a temporary workaround you could process the BITBUCKET_BRANCH variable like this: 

BRANCH_SLUG="$(echo $BITBUCKET_BRANCH | iconv -t ascii//TRANSLIT | sed -r s/[~\^]+//g | sed -r s/[^a-zA-Z0-9]+/-/g | sed -r s/^-+\|-+$//g | tr A-Z a-z)"

See also https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47050589/create-url-friendly-slug-with-pure-bash

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events