Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket: Issue-Only Users (No Repo Access)

David Schooley May 25, 2018

At the moment, we're only using Bitbucket, not Jira or Confluence. We have a dedicated tester. Is there a way to add that person in Bitbucket so they can submit issues but NOT have access to the code repository?

Thanks!

7 answers

jokkiw007 April 28, 2020

Great suggestion! Please implement this @Ana Retamal !

2 votes
Anh Tran December 5, 2019

Upvote. I will pay extra for it

2 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2018

Hi David, welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Besides the issue tracker permissions, do you want your tester to not be able to contribute to the code, or to not see it at all?

If you have a private issue tracker and give your tester read permissions to the repo, he'll be able to submit issues and also to see the repo, but they won't be able to make any changes to the code. 

Read: Allows users to view, clone, and fork the repository code but not push changes. Read access also allows users to create issues, comment on issues, and edit wiki pages.

If you don't give him any access to the repo, then he won't be able to see the issue tracker at all.

Alternatively, you can make the tracker public which means that anyone can view/create/comment on issues but the code repository will be private and they won't see it. 

Hope that helps :)

Ana

jamesholcomb November 12, 2018

So in summary, there is no way to accomplish what the OP asked?

Like # people like this
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2018

Hi James! If his repo is private, it won't be possible to accomplish what the OP wants. 

If the only reason why OP wants the tester to not have access to the repo is so he can not make changes, he could just restrict the tester's permissions to 'read-only', however I'm more inclined to think he wanted to avoid any kind of access at all so the tester won't count towards the 5 user limit, in that case it won't be possible.

Hope that clarifies, let us know if you have any other question.

Ana

David Schooley November 13, 2018

Hi Ana.

Your guess is correct, but your motive is not. I simply do not wish to grant unnecessary permissions to testers. This is a proprietary system, and to protect our intellectual property, testers cannot have access to the source code. They just need to submit bugs and convey enhancement requests, and the issue tracker works well for that. It's really just that simple.

We're managing without this feature.

Thanks,
David

Like # people like this
S I April 22, 2019

I have been a paying BitBucket user for years and this is a great suggestion David - I too think they should support this ability!  @Ana Retamal there are many reasons why a company would want to do this, where can we submit this as a feature request (if you are not able to submit it for us?).

For our example I have multiple developers working of various aspects of a project, I don't want cross access to certain repositories but I want to give access to the issue tracker so they can cross monitor issues - I am sure there would be numerous other advantages behind this feature, please treat it seriously!

Like # people like this
Vishal Zanzrukia July 3, 2019

I seriously upvote for this feature request

macmcmeans September 5, 2019

Agreed. The ability to grant read-only access to Issues apart from everything else would be a great feature.

JackWillDavis October 9, 2019

Agreed, I'd love to see this feature added as well

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
October 10, 2019

Hi everyone!

Feature requests for Bitbucket Cloud can be submitted in our public Issue tracker

In this case, as there are already several users interested in this feature, I believe it would be better if one of you submits the feature so you can write your own example of how you'd use it and how this would benefit your team. Remember to keep watching the issue to be updated of any notifications on the ticket, so you can engage with the developers shall they add any comments.

It's also important to add your vote to it so they have an estimate of how many users are interested in this.

If you need any help submitting this feature or have any other questions, don't hesitate to let us know :) 

Kind regards,

Ana

0 votes
Pooran Prasad Rajanna November 22, 2021

This is an issue raised in 2018. I sit already working? fixed?

0 votes
Valueweaver June 9, 2020

We upvote for this feature. For now, we exported our 90+ issues by going to 'Repository Settings' > 'Import and Export'. When you do export it will give you a zip of issues along with any attachments. Then used https://json-csv.com/ to convert it to excel/CSV to track those in the excel sheet. For new issues now we are using integrated Trello in bitbucket. But we learned from our mistake of blindly assuming that a big name company would have this very common use case built into their software. Code Repos are sacred and not every Tom, Dick, and Harry should automatically get access to it.

0 votes

I seriously up-vote for this feature request

0 votes
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2018

HI @David Schooley,

This will be possible using Repository permission.

How?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events