Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket: How to change repository ownership from user to team?

Anton Pavelyev March 24, 2015

Hello. How to change repository ownership from user to team?

8 answers

1 accepted

49 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2015

From https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Change+or+transfer+repository+ownership

"Make sure you know which user you want to transfer the repository to before you begin. Then, do the following:

1. Log into Bitbucket using the account that owns the repository.
    This is the user the repository is transferring from.
  2. Go to the repository you want to transfer.
  3. Go to the repository's settings.
  4. Select Transfer repository from the left-side menu.
    The system opens the Transfer repository page:
  5. Enter the Username of the individual or team account you want to transfer to.

6. Press Transfer repository.
    The Bitbucket server sends the user or team account a message containing a transfer request. The message goes to both the user's Bitbucket inbox and the external email inbox."

The admins of the team account then has to log in and accept the transfer.

Anton Pavelyev May 5, 2015

Thank you!

Like youssef jebbouri likes this
Martin Hermosilla November 23, 2016

when I created the Team I never created an account. So I am not sure how to accept the transfer, or how to associate the Team with a new user... should it be associated with the User used to create the team?

Like # people like this
Tung Nguyen December 13, 2018

I would like to confirm that this answer is awesome because it comes handy to me.

gorazdv May 5, 2019

Thank you. It works perfectly.

purplepapaya January 26, 2020

Thank you! This helped our team as well.

Magela Moore March 18, 2020

Thank you!

K Veeresh February 24, 2023

Thank you!

6 votes
rainerhilmer January 2, 2017

I see this post is old and I wonder if the Web UI has changed ever since because I can't find "Transfer repository". What now?

EDIT: I just found it. We Need to do another step before #4:
3.5 Select "Repository Details".

Shane Cossey July 26, 2017

Thanks Rainer.

Like youssef jebbouri likes this
Zennaxx.tech January 30, 2019

Thanks Rainer. I am just extending answer that If user account is older then select Repository Details from Setting as Rain explained. After scroll to bottom and you will see the Transfer Repository option.

breakstorm00 August 4, 2020

Thank you. 

ShyamA June 24, 2021

Thank you

4 votes
ivanff August 18, 2017

fuck, transfer request not show for new owner!!!

Paweł Pyrczak September 14, 2017

+1

Like Rey likes this
Paweł Pyrczak November 20, 2018

After year looks like they fixed this. New owner see trasfer request and receive mail notification.

3 votes
G_ Soe May 20, 2018

Below method works for me when you are already part of the team.

You can go to Projects, Select desired project, Add repositories from an individual account

landerson@cgcounty.org August 5, 2019

This worked for me and didn't require jumping between users. It'll even warn you that the ownership will be transferred. 

1 vote
Andrey June 15, 2020

How should I synchronise my local repository  after I transferred the remote one to a new ownership?

I can not simply push to the remote repository now because my local repository is still has a link to the previous ownership.

Andrey June 15, 2020

Ok, I found an answer :)

If you have the same problem then try this: 

$ git remote set-url origin new_url
1 vote
Idan B. - CSI December 6, 2018

This thread doesn't include the receiving end. I am waiting to get a repository transfer from an account I don't own into my new account and I don't know what to expect. No email was received and no notification was posted on my new account. What are the steps to accept the transfer? Appreciate the help.

Thomas Lück June 6, 2019

Same here. A repository's ownership is pending (was sent to me) but after repeatedly coming back over the last couple of months I still can't figure out how to accept it:

This repository's ownership is pending transfer to xyz. Visit the repository details page for more info.

This page only shows the initiator and receiver of the transfer. I can't do anything there.

Like Lloyd Randall likes this
Marcel van Langen September 5, 2019

Right now you can only accept a transfer via the e-mail that's been sent to the email address of the account. So make sure you have access to the email address of the receiving account, then you can accept via a link in that email.

Wesley October 17, 2019

And who would the receiving account be? It's supposedly sent to our team/organization, but to our knowledge no e-mail is configured there.

Marcel van Langen October 17, 2019

When you created an account, an email address was required. It's supposed to be that address. When you log in as the receiving account and you go to Manage Settings, you should see an email address there (under 'Atlassian Account'). That should be the one!

Wesley October 17, 2019

Thanks! We know our accounts' e-mail addresses, but we found out what the actual problem was: we had one group that was set as 'Admin' for the team, but notifications were disabled on that account, so, no e-mails... it's fixed now! Thanks.

Marcel van Langen October 17, 2019

Nice! Hope you can help someone else in the future with this answer too!

0 votes
Fedwa September 21, 2020

Update 

They changed it again, now you go to:

Repository settings -> Repository Details -> click the 3 dots at the right top: you will find "transfer repository" there.

0 votes
giulio_beseghi September 2, 2020

Is it normal that it's taking more than 17 minutes? It's just a small repository

Fedwa September 21, 2020

The person you transferred it to has to accept, maybe this is what's taking time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events