Bitbucket Git "change base"

On the Bitbucket Branches page, what does "change base" do? I'm sure it changes the base, but I don't understand the practical effect and am afraid to mess something up by experimenting.

If you could refer me to a reference URL, that would be great (I've looked and can't find one), but if you'd like to just answer here, that would be great, too. Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

This changes what the base of the comparison for the page will display. For example, if your main branch is "Development", your page will automatically show the ahead and behind based on the difference between "Development" and the other branches in the list. If you switch the base to something else, the page will then display ahead/behind based on the new branch. Give it a try!

I'm currently looking for a feature like that, but cannot find "change base" on our branches page.

Was this feature removed or moved somewhere else?

I wish someone would have answered this, I would like to change the base branch. I don't see this option anywhere.

The 'base branch' is the branch you are currently viewing within the Branches screen.

To 'change base', select the desired branch from the branch dropdown.

2018-01-11_11-26-11.png

The 2018-01-11_11-27-09.pngtag will now associate with the selected branch.

The 'base branch' tag will not be visible when the branch selected is also the 'default branch' (selected from settings->repository details), however the comparisons will still be relevant. This is the exception.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

650 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot