Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Commits List Doesn't Show All Tags

Duc Nguyen Nhu August 31, 2021

We have a problem with displaying the tags in the commits list. We have the scenario that in the Bitbucket UI less tags are shown than the actual number (in our specific case 2 of 4 tags are only displayed). 

But if you check it on the Git Terminal all tags are correctly displayed.

Bitbucket Server Version:

Atlassian Bitbucket v7.12.1

Can anyone help?

1 answer

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2021

What is "actual number"? Is this what you see in your local clone?

(If so, then maybe you just forgot to push the recently tags to Bitbucket. A plain vanilla push doesn't push tags, you have to use "git push --tags".)

Ingo Mohr September 1, 2021

Hi Aron,

I'm w/ @Duc Nguyen Nhu 's team.

When we clone the repo from Bitbucket to an empty folder and the call ``git log`` on a terminal, Git (2.32.0.windows.1) shows 4 tags for that commit. Bitbucket UI, however, only shows 2.

The commit SHA is the same on both the terminal and Bitbucket UI. So is the message. Only 2 tags are missing on Bitbucket UI.

(We also checked this on another Git client - Eclipse. Which also shows 4 tags).

i.e. the entire Git repo didn't exist before on the local machine. It came all - including tags - from the Bitbucket server.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2021

Hmm, if I were you, I'd compare a tag that is shown against another that isn't and would try to find a common characteristic. (For example, one may be a lightweight tag and the other an annotated one... Dunno.)

Like Ingo Mohr likes this
Ingo Mohr September 2, 2021

Good point. We'll check that. Thx :)

Duc Nguyen Nhu September 6, 2021

Hi Aron,

thanks for the hint. I checked all tags if they are lightweight or annotated tags. Referring to the initial post only 1 of the 4 tags is a lightweight tag but it seems that there is no difference in what is displayed. Both can be shown in the commits view (verified it by checking former lightweight tags which are also displayed).

Do you know if there is a limitation of number of displayed tags?

displayed tags.png

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2021

I'm quite sure that there is a limit on the number of tags displayed, but I can't imagine this being as low as 2...

Duc Nguyen Nhu September 6, 2021

Do you have any idea how I can find out about the limit on the number of tags or who might know this?

thanks in advance.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2021

If you have a valid license for Bitbucket, you have access to its source code, so you can check it for yourself. But, I guess, it's faster to open a ticket at Atlassian as you are eligible for commercial support.

Like Duc Nguyen Nhu likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events