Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Cloud release branch type

Sascha March 4, 2021

Hi, 

is it possible to accept only PR in the release/* branch types?

I tried it with branch permissions, but if i deny write access for everyone i'm not able to create a release/* branch from develop.

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2021

Hi @Sascha and welcome to the community.

It is not very clear to me what you would like to achieve, and I would like to ask for clarification so I can better help you:

Would you like users to be able to merge PRs with destination the release/* branches only? And not be able to merge PRs to any other branch?

Ot would you like to prevent creation of PRs to branches other than release/* ones?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Sascha March 10, 2021

Hi,

i have the following branch permissions to make sure that only changes to this branches will go thru Pull Request:

Unbenannt.PNG

The problem is the release/* branch type. When i try to create a new release branch, release/test for example it will not work. I get ths error:

Unbenannt.PNG

Hopefully its a little bit clearer ;)

Thank you

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 12, 2021

Hi @Sascha,

Thank you for the info, this is much clearer now :)

I have been able to reproduce this issue and I also spoke with one of the developers about it.

The reason why you cannot create a release/* branch is because 'Write access' is set to 'None', and this is a bug, as setting 'Write access' to 'None' should prevent users from pushing to these branches, and not from creating branches of this type.

We have a ticket for this in our public issue tracker:

I would suggest to add your vote in that ticket (by selecting the Vote for this issue link) as the number of votes helps the development team better understand how many people are affected by this. You can also add yourself as a watcher (by selecting the Start watching this issue link) if you'd like to get notified via email on updates.

When there is an update, a product manager or developer will post it in that public ticket. Please keep in mind though that we don't provide ETAs and bug fixing is implemented as per our policy here

In the meantime, the workaround I can suggest would be to (temporarily, perhaps?) add yourself in the 'Write access' field of this specific branch permission, when you want to create new branches of this type.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Tony Kirker September 18, 2022

Hi @Theodora Boudale,

We're struggling with this same bug. I see you've referred to the issue as a bug, but referenced a ticket for the issue logged as a "suggestion" dating back to 2017. Is the best solution available still to just bypass permissions manually? 

Kind regards,

Tony

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events