Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket Cloud User/Repo Organization Similar to Azure DevOps

Angelo Loria March 1, 2019

I'm currently on a small software team consisting of 20ish users and a couple service accounts. We are using Azure DevOps for our Git repositories. In Azure DevOps, we are set up as an "organization". Within this organization are all of our repos (labelled as "projects" in Azure DevOps). Members of the organization can be assigned access to these repos. It's pretty straightforward and has been working well. The URL for the repo includes our organization name. 

I am looking to move our code base to Bitbucket Cloud as we recently made the move to Jira Software/Service Desk Cloud. On-prem would be later down the road. However, I am little confused on the hierarchy/organization of people and repos in Bitbucket.

-I have signed up for a free account, and have linked my Jira Software instance.

-In BB, when I create a repo, it is under a URL that contains my user name (https://bitbucket.org/[userName]/[repoName]/src/master/). I don't want this to contain my user name.

-I set up a team, and can create the repo under the team, which gives me a more sensible URL as it contains the team (comparable to the "organization" in Azure DevOps). 

-When creating a repo under a team, it requires me to select a Project. I'm not sure what a Project is in BB, and don't intend to use these, as it's just another layer of confusion for the team. These Projects in BB don't seem to at all match up with Projects in Jira Software, and I don't understand their purpose. So, I don't want to select a Project here, but it's required. Why is this required and what benefits are there to having a project in BB? 

Do I just create a dummy project and have the team ignore that it exists so that I can add them all to a BB team and avoid having all the repos under my account? Or do I just get a service account of sorts to create the repos under without using the BB team functionality? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2019

Hi Angelo,

Projects are there to help you organize the repositories within your team (or organization). If you have members in your team working on different departments, products, etc, you can use projects to separate those. Otherwise, if all of you're working on the same thing, you could just create a general project (or dummy project as you called it) that will contain all the repos created for your team. The name of the project will not be visible in the URL. For more info you can read Group repositories into projects.

Hope that clarifies a little bit! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Ana

Angelo Loria March 4, 2019

Hi Ana,

Appreciate the info. Creating a general project will work for now, but may I suggest removing it as a requirement going forward? I can understand scenarios in which they would be useful but for smaller teams I don't see why it's necessary as a requirement. 

Thanks! 

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

Hi Angelo, to be honest I personally don't know why they are a required item. I've searched our portal and I couldn't find a suggestion for that. If you'd like, you're more than welcome to visit our portal and file that suggestion yourself :) 

If there's anything else we can do to help, let us know!

Have a good day,

Ana 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events