Bitbucket Cloud: Stop push on webhook error

Michael Delle November 29, 2017

I created a webhook in Bitbucket Cloud (Repository -> Push) that checks if the branch name is valid (bob_12345_ticket_description).

Branch must have the ticket number (12345) or it will throw an error (I tried a few different HTTP errors), with the purpose of stopping the push, come to find out it doesn't work how I thought it would (doesn't stop the push).

Is there a way to stop a push using a webhook?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi Michael! I think that in your case you should look into Git hooks:

Common use cases for Git hooks include encouraging a commit policy [...] 

The pre-commit script is executed every time you run git commit before Git asks the developer for a commit message or generates a commit object. You can use this hook to inspect the snapshot that is about to be committed. For example, you may want to run some automated tests that make sure the commit doesn’t break any existing functionality.

No arguments are passed to the pre-commit script, and exiting with a non-zero status aborts the entire commit.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Michael Delle March 9, 2018

So the answer is no :)

I did consider using git hooks but we have 10 devs and I didn't want them to have to spend time installing, and updating them.

I abandoned trying to stop them from pushing an invalid branch. I have checks in the pipelines instead, so the pipeline will fail.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events