Bitbucket Broken Visual Studio 2019 16.11.11 and Git 2.35

Frank Ceci March 15, 2022

I'm trying to hunt down an issue with Bitbucket integration with Visual Studio 2019, and I'm trying to determine if the recent break is related to the Bitbucket HTTPS removal on March 1st, or related to the newest versions of Visual Studio 2019 (16.11.11) and Git (2.35.1). The issue also persists in the newest versions of Visual Studio 2017 and Visual Studio 2022.

I have always used Bitbucket with SSH and MFA without issues since last summer so I wouldn't think that that the updates on March 1st would have affected me. Also, connection to my Bitbucket repos worked in Visual Studio through March 9th, right before I updated to the newest versions of Visual Studio 2017 and 2019.

It seems as though this issue is on Visual Studio's end as I was still able to interact with Bitbucket through Windows Terminal, but I still want to make sure that Bitbucket supports the newest version of Git (2.35.1). Does it? According to this page you should, but nothing explicit is stated. If I can rule out any issues on the Bitbucket side I can focus my attempts to fix this on the Visual Studio front.

Here is a link to my post on the Visual Studio Community Forums for more information if you'd like to see. It's been six days and no word from Microsoft so my hopes are getting dim on that front.
Visual Studio Professional 16.11.11 Breaks Git SSH Access - Visual Studio Feedback

EDIT:
I forgot to mention I did read through this post as well:
Can not log in to Bitbucket in Visual Studio (atlassian.com)
But since the announcement states "this does not impact those using an SSH key to authenticate with Git." I did not think it would affect me since I've always used a SSH key to access my Bitbucket repositories.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2022

Hi @Frank Ceci and welcome the community.

We haven't seen any issues with Bitbucket Cloud and the latest version of Git.

I believe that the user who mentioned that version 2.35 of Git does not work with their version of BitBucket may be using Bitbucket Server instead of Cloud, as they are referring to a version of Bitbucket (which we don't have in Cloud). See also the feature request here for Bitbucket Server to support Git 2.35: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-13114

If you can interact with your Bitbucket Cloud repos from a command-line tool using Git 2.35, but the same operations (e.g. clone, pull, push) are failing from Visual Studio, then the issue seems to be specific to Visual Studio (it may be a configuration issue or a bug).

Kind regards,
Theodora

Frank Ceci March 21, 2022

Hi Theodora, that's what made more sense to me. Thank you for the clarification. I will wait for a fix from the Visual Studio team as there are others with the same issue. They seem to be looking into the issue now.

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2022

Hi Frank,

You are very welcome, it's good to hear that it is being looked into and I hope it gets resolved soon.

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else!

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
sriprasanna.mg June 7, 2022

With VS 2022 the plugin does not work and there is no answer from ATLASSIAN for getting this features as supported by Github's VS plugin: GitHub Extension for Visual Studio - Visual Studio Marketplace

I think this is a really bad situation for teams using Visual Studio for development.

I created an issue here to bring attention / upvote

[BSERV-13342] Bitbucket datacenter extension for Visual Studio - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products.

0 votes
Frank Ceci March 15, 2022

I was told in the Visual Studio forums listed above that Bitbucket does not support Git 2.35, and the newest versions of Visual Studio released in March use Git 2.35. That seems to be the case after my testing. When I downgraded Visual Studio to previous working version and then uninstalled and reinstalled Git, I used the newest version of Git which was 2.35.1. That didn't work. Then downgrading Git fixed the issue.

For reference I am now using Visual Studio 2019 16.11.10 and Git 2.34.1, which are the latest versions of both that will work.

If this is in fact the case, can you guys update your documentation page? What version of Git do you support? | Bitbucket Cloud | Atlassian Support

EDIT:
I will wait to hear back from someone on the Atlassian team before marking this as an answer.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events