Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitbucket API adding/removing permissions

jagauthier November 20, 2020

Greetings,

I am trying to programmatically create a repository along with certain permissions.

Using the 1.0 API (locally hosted server) I always get a 401 - You are not authorized to access this resource.

I am an admin on the project, and I created the repo.  However, when I try to add a group via the API, I am presented with the unauthorized access error message.

The call looks like this:

PUT /rest/api/1.0/projects/project_name/repos/repo_name/permissions/groups?permission=REPO_ADMIN&name=Bitbucket%20Admins

To test that the API works for me, I manually added the group through the web interface. I am a member of the group.

Then I added another group (through the web interface) with REPO_WRITE and REPO_READ.

I attempted to revoke those permissions:

DELETE /rest/api/1.0/projects/project_name/repos/repo_name/permissions/groups?name=Bitbucket%20Users

With this I also get 401 -  You are not authorized to access this resource.

I've read the API documentation and I should meet the requirements to do both of these actions.

for PUT:

"The authenticated user must have REPO_ADMIN permission for the specified repository or a higher project or global permission to call this resource. In addition, a user may not demote a group's permission level if their own permission level would be reduced as a result."  I am a PROJECT_ADMIN.

for DELETE: 

"The authenticated user must have REPO_ADMIN permission for the specified repository or a higher project or global permission to call this resource.

In addition, a user may not revoke a group's permissions if it will reduce their own permission level."

Since I added myself to the repo, I am REPO_ADMIN.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jagauthier November 20, 2020

Well, I can't delete my post.  But I solved this and it was completely stupid.  Since I was doing this programmatically (through pycurl) I neglected to copy the authorization function to execute.  So, yeah. 401 makes sense.  :|

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events