BitBucket pipeline shows npm: command not found

Madhan November 5, 2020

After deploying code to my server using bit bucket scp pipe, I am using another pipeline to run a script to install node modules and start node server but the pipeline results as failed status and shows like

./server-run.sh: line 1: npm: command not found ./server-run.sh: line 2: pm2: command not found
image: node:10.15.3

pipelines:
  custom:
    test:
    - step:
        caches:
          - node
        script: # Modify the commands below to build your repository.
            - pipe: atlassian/scp-deploy:0.3.3
              variables:
                USER: $USER
                SERVER: $SERVER
                REMOTE_PATH: '/var/www/stockTest/server'
                LOCAL_PATH: 'server/*'
    server-start:
    - step:
        caches:
          - node
        script:
          - ssh $USER@$SERVER "cd /var/www/stockTest/server && ./server-run.sh"

server-run.sh

npm i
pm2 start server-start.js --name stockTest

3 answers

3 votes
Tarun Gautam July 27, 2021

@Madhan follow the steps given below

1> in your server terminal run echo $PATH 

this will give below out put   /home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v16.5.0/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin

2> Now open nano /etc/environment and paste the path there like given below

PATH="/home/ubuntu/.nvm/versions/node/v16.5.0/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin"

This will surely solve your problem.

AlbinRhyme October 26, 2021

Like # people like this
Jeetendra Choudhary April 11, 2022

If I am not using nvm, how do i do this? because node and npm are available in system, however it isn't visible in path variable. So what path to add to environment file?

0 votes
tayzar12 December 19, 2021

@Madhan Did you solve it?

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2020

Hi @Madhan ,

Based on the output, it looks that npm and pm2 may not be installed on your server.

What output do you get if you execute the following in a terminal on your server?

npm -v

You can check the following links on how to install npm and pm2 on your server if you haven't done so already:

Kind regards,
Theodora

Madhan November 10, 2020

Hi @Theodora Boudale 

Thanks for responding for my post,I already have npm node and pm2 and i can manually run  my code on my server but unable to do that using bitbucket-pipeline.

Any explanation is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 11, 2020

Hi @Madhan ,

Can you double-check/confirm whether npm and pm2 start are installed for the same user that you use to ssh to your server from Pipelines? The user stored in the variable $USER. One possibility is that these are installed for a different user on your server.

Can you execute the commands

npm i
pm2 start server-start.js --name stockTest

on your server as $USER ?

If you are connecting to the correct for this purpose user, then I would suggest the following:

In you bitbucket-pipelines.yml file, change the command of the "server-start" custom pipeline, from

- ssh $USER@$SERVER "cd /var/www/stockTest/server && ./server-run.sh"

to

- ssh $USER@$SERVER "cd /var/www/stockTest/server && npm i && pm2 start server-start.js --name stockTest"

then run this custom build and let me know what is the output of the build. This is to check if the problem is with the execution of the script only and whether the commands can be executed this way.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Madhan November 11, 2020

Hi @Theodora Boudale ,

Still getting the same output even after changing the script as suggested by you 

+ ssh $USER@$SERVER "cd /var/www/stockTest/server && npm i && pm2 start server-start.js --name stockTest"bash: npm: command not found

even i cross-checked the npm and pm2 on my server for the user as  i mentioned in the script.

Kind regards,

Madhan

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
November 16, 2020

Hi Madhan,

Do you have a laptop/computer that you can use to test the SSH connection to the same server? That is, generate an SSH key pair in your client machine, add the public key in the authorized_keys on the server and then execute the same SSH command from your client machine and see what output you get.

I would like us to narrow down whether the problem occurs only when connecting via SSH from Pipelines or if the same issue occurs while connecting from another machine as well.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events