BitBucket failing for lack of password but not requesting it

I'm setting up a first BitBucket git repository, and have followed the instructions step by step.

On the commit and push instructions it says to:

echo "# This is my README" >> README.md

git add README.md

git commit -m "First commit. Adding a README."

git push -u origin master

That last line failes with the message:

remote: abort: this user account does not have a password configured - to use your account over HTTPS, it is necessary to have a password set.

OK, but where and how do you do that? Any documentation that I have seen seems to think that git will prompt you for a password (and I did run the password caching utility that BitBucket recommends).

Environment: Windows 8.1, with the BitBucket recommended version of Git installed.

5 answers

1 accepted

OK, so I found the problem. When I signed up for BitBucket, I used my Google account. That signup process did not store a password withing BitBucket.

If you go to your user account within BitBucket and configure a specific password, then it works.

I hope we can all agree this is terrible UI design...

Yes, but how to do that ?

The only place I see, is "Change Password" which in iteself requires the old password.

Thank you.

It has been a while, but I think I just used my Google password, or left it blank.

The GitHub password worked, thank you!

The "Change Password" page is the correct page to use, even though it expects an old password.

For the old password, type anything. The page will reject a blank field, but if anything is typed there, it will work.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Jun 12, 2018 in Bitbucket

Do you use any Atlassian products for your personal projects?

After spinning my wheels trying to get organized enough to write a book for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) I took my affinity for Atlassian products from my work life and decided to tr...

22,972 views 26 12
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you