BitBucket - dead accounts caused by "Can't login - username already exists"

Benjamin Lachs March 28, 2021

Hello, I have many different usernames (all of which are no longer in use), and now I have to start mis-spelling my username. Is it possible to find out how to re-use a username? Specifically, the following usernames are no longer in use: blachs, benlachs, benjilachs, benjaminlachs ; I have now just created a new username "benjamnlachs" which I don't like, specifically because the other 4 accounts which are unused are now "reserved forever" in BitBucket's usernamespace.

(1) It would be good to know how a given username can be re-used, when the email (eg, using Google Auth) changes.

(2) Can I change my username to any of the 4 usernames I have mentioned (which are presently unused, yet reserved)?

1 answer

0 votes
Syahrul
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2022

Hey @Benjamin Lachs ,

G'Day!

It looks like most of the account you share is managed account so if you no longer have access to the account it's not possible for you to change the username without logging into the account.

If any of the accounts are not managed then you can follow the guide here to update or change your username to free it up.

Basically, the username is tied to a Bitbucket account and it's a first come first served basis. If it's already being used you need to login to the current owner of the username and change it to something else to free it up.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Syahrul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events