Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitBucket Unable to merge Unrelated Branches

adityaponnada February 16, 2018

Hello all,

I am new to git and not super tech savvy when it comes to it. I use source tree to commit and push code. I am running into strange issues which I never did before. When I merge my branch to the master I get this errorGitIssue3.PNG: "Unable to merge, unrelated branches".

Moreover, I see strange things in my repo:

1. The remote and the locals don't seem connected at all GitIssue2.PNG 

2. I keep getting prompted for authentication but that username is wrong and I can't find a way to change it:

GitIssue1.PNG

Any help in this regard would be great!

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2018

Hello! You're seeing this error because "Aditya_local" is branched from "master" which is somehow different than the master that exists online in Bitbucket. I'm not sure how that happened -- what steps did you take to create your repository?

adityaponnada February 21, 2018

I started programming locally. Then when things started to work, I first created an online repo on BB. Then using source tree, I created a new repo with the project folder of my local code. Then I added remote to it using the url from the BB repository. 

Like Ola B likes this
souravmunjal2000 December 11, 2018

Mike Carsaro so if we have to merge these 2 unrelated builds then how should we do that?

lucifergene May 5, 2019

Mike Carsaro pls remember the basic etiquette of replying back.

Like Dashkevich Pavel likes this
jahangir hussain February 16, 2020

confronting from the same issue

Sachin Sridhar November 18, 2021

Can you please resolve it, Mike?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events