Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit Bucket

Ricky Dials June 28, 2021

Trying to clone repository in bitbucket and running the following command in folder from powershell.

git clone <url removed>

It will not accept my password and getting 403 access error.

2 answers

0 votes
Ricky Dials July 1, 2021

I was able to get working using by putting password in automatically. Used the command below:

git clone https://{username}:{password}@github.com/{username}/project.git

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2021

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad you were able to find a workaround.

If the issue still persists when you don't use the app password in the clone command directly, we would need to do some troubleshooting to figure out why.

If you don't want to or don't have time to do this right now, it's perfectly ok. I'll just write what info we would need to troubleshoot this, in case you would like to do so at a later point:

1. The version of Git you are using

git --version

2. The full output of

GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 GIT_TRACE=1 GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 <git command>

where <git command> is the command that gives you the error when you don't use the app password in the URL.

Please remove the line that starts with “Authorization:” from the output prior to sharing the output here, as it includes credential info.

Just a heads up, I removed the clone URL from your original post for privacy reasons.

Kind regards,
Theodora

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2021

Hi Ricky and welcome to the community.

Do you get asked for a password when you enter the clone command, or not? If a Git credential helper is used in your system and has stored a (possibly incorrect) password for Bitbucket, then you won't be asked for a password when cloning. So, I am asking this in order to understand if this could be a possible cause for the issue or not.

In case you do get asked for a password when cloning: if you have a managed Bitbucket account and you use your company's SSO to sign in to Bitbucket website (https://bitbucket.org/), then the account's password won't work for Git operations via HTTPS. In this case, you'll need to generate an app password for your account, and use that instead of the password when you clone/pull/push to repos.

Could you give this a try and let me know if it works?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Ricky Dials June 30, 2021

Thanks Theodora and thank you.

Yes, I get ask for the password. I have tried both the bitbucket password and the password I created app password I created in my personal settings. Other users that work use the app password and it seems to work. However, myself and another colleague are new to this area and trying to get up and running to clone repository so we can contribute. 

My company uses SSO as well, so we are doing the right process but not working. I would really appreciate any assistance you can provide to get this working. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events