Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bests Practice to work with bitbucket Repository and component development

Daimonion March 28, 2019

Hi Community.

We are pretty new to bitbucket at our company site and are willing to start work with bitbucket instead of svn. 

Until now we worked with svn and developed embedded solutions in c. Every project got a repository in svn and the software developer copied his needed code into it. There were no links to other repositories. If the developer used existing code he copied it manually to the svn repo and so to his project.

With the switch to bitbucket we would start to develop components (let's say for example a component is a parameter database or a trajectory generator) for our embedded systems who are developed separately and are stored in separate repositorys. This components then should be linked to project repositories where they are used without to change them.

But at first we need to create such components.  A component for itself is not able to run on an embedded system. It needs a Testfield with whom it can be tested on the device. The testfield itself is the same for the component as a project and provides code with whom the component can run on the embedded system (toolchain setting, Controller settings and so on). Furthermore the testfield provides the testcases the component is tested with. The Testfield should be a separate repository in bitbucket and the component should be linked to it. 

The tasks for the software developer should be:

1. Create Testfield repository and commit it to bitbucket. 

2. Create component repository and commit it to bitbucket.

3. Link component repository to testfield repository. 

4. Develop testfield and component on device and commit both to their own repositories. 

So let's come to my question. I don't know wether this approach is "best practice".

I see it on github every day but don't know how it is done in the background. Let's take a example, the CanOpenNode repository on github: https://github.com/CANopenNode

It has an repo CanOpenNode where a CanOpen stack is developed HW independent. And there are two other repos CanOpenPic and CanOpenSocket where the CanOpenNode Repo is linked to, to create a project for a dsPIC and for a linux system. 

My question is. When working with the testfield repository (let's say this would be the CanOpenSocket Repo. It is checked out and the devs writing code in it) and the developer has to change code in the component repository (in our example this would be the CanOpenNode repo which is only linked to CanOpenSocket) how it is possible to commit the changes in the component directly to the component repository?

Long text to describe my problem, but i hope you understand my concerns.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Regards Thomas

0 answers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events