Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practive for repository size

Jesse James Ander December 21, 2022

Hi ,

I am new with bitbucket, and I recently got an error remote: Repository is over the size limit (4GB) and will not accept further additions.

Is the 4gb per repo, so if there are multiple branches it means it will share the 4gb limit?

Is there any best practices to keep the file size within 4gb? or an alert that after our latest commit we are nearing cap size.

Thanks,

James

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2022

Hi James,

The Bitbucket Cloud account with the same email as your community account doesn't have access to any repos over the 4 GB limit. Does this issue concern a repository you access from a different account? Or did you push a git reset to the repo (that will trigger a full garbage collection)?

The 4 GB limit is for the whole repository, including all branches of the repo. When the repo's size is over 2GB, you’ll see a warning in the Repository details panel to let you know you are over halfway to the 4 GB repository size limit. This panel is at the top right corner of the Source page of the repo (on Bitbucket Cloud website).

If you track any large files in the repo that you don't need to version, it's best to rewrite history and remove these files. In case you do need to version large files, we recommend using Git LFS. You can check the following reply of mine to a different post for more details on both options, and let me know if you have any questions:

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events