Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bamboo Server Repositories

John Bowker January 21, 2013

How does Bamboo keep track of version control changes? We recently moved a repo to a new domain and Bamboo couldn't relocate when checking for changes.

Is it a directory location on the Bamboo server or the remote agent?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2013

If you change the location of your version control server you need to update Plan configuration in Bamboo.

Thanks for the info.

Does Bamboo create a checkout on the server to keep track of changes? I changed the url to the new location and Bamboo still gave me an error.

The only way I could get it to work was to delete the repository item in the plan and create a new one.

We will be moving our repos onto a new location soon and it would be great to automate this. So if Bamboo does have checkouts on the server I can run a script to update them without having to delete and recreate all the information.

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2013

2 questions:

1) What is your VCS system?

If you use Git or Mercurial then Bamboo maintains a clone of the repo on the server to speed up the change detection.

In case of SVN or CVS it simply 'asks' the server for the most recent version.

2) What kind of error do you get?

Here's the thing: if you change definition of repository (e.g. server url) in Bamboo, the system will consider this as 'new' repo and should automatically 'reset' the change detection on the next change detection cycle. After that happens, any new commit to the new location should be picked up by Bamboo.

In other words: all the internal stuff Bamboo maintains to keep track of changes should be cleaned automatically.

There is a limitation: Bamboo can't tell if the repository is moved or is it completely new, so it will assume the latter, just in case. Nevertheless, you shouldn't be required to take manually cleanup any Bamboo internals to get it working after VCS relocation.

Side note: it might be a good idea to take this issue to Atlassian Support.

We use Subversion.

Bamboo reported the standard svn error “Repository moved permanently to <> please relocate”.

Even after changing the repo url to the new one I still saw this error, almost as if Bamboo didn't register the change.

However I did re-run the failed build instead of starting a new build, maybe thats the problem.

Marcin Gardias
Atlassian Team
January 21, 2013

>However I did re-run the failed build instead of starting a new build, maybe thats the problem.

You are right: once build is run the source revision AND repository details are fixed. Please start a new build, that should work.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events