Automatically close issues only when the commit is merged into the default branch

eleonrk May 4, 2018

Currently if I create bugfix branch, for instance, and make some commit containing "fixes #1" or "closes #1" in its message, it automatically close #1 issue.

However, I would like to happen only when the pull request associated to this branch is approved and merged into the default branch (develop or master).

I cannot understand how I must configure my repository to accomplish this.

2 answers

0 votes
jvbgew October 21, 2020

Did you ever find an answer for this? I am also annoyed by this default behaviour but can't find any way to change it

eleonrk October 21, 2020

Nop, never.

0 votes
Michael Wolfe
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2018

You can accomplish this by setting a workflow trigger for the status transition.

eleonrk May 9, 2018

Hello @Michael Wolfe and thank you for your answer.

Maybe I should have added that I'm using Bitbucket Cloud and its issues tracker, not Jira.

Is it still possible to accomplish such thing?

Michael Wolfe
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2018

You might be able to do this with an automation plug-in, but I'm not familiar enough with a stand alone Bitbucker instance to know if this can or can't be done with additional software.  So far, the only thing I can find about closing issues is probably a document you are already familiar with:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/resolve-issues-automatically-when-users-push-code-221451126.html

You may want to see if ScriptRunner can automate this for you.

eleonrk May 9, 2018

Well it's a llittlebit of a pity, this article describes it almost as I want it to work, except it totally forgets a very important factor, the branches and all the git branching model and flows around them.

I would love to have it integrated in Bitbucket Cloud like in Github (https://blog.github.com/2013-01-22-closing-issues-via-commit-messages/)

Anyway, thank you again @Michael Wolfe for your answers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events